The Estimated Amount, Value, and Calories of Postharvest Food Losses at the Retail and Consumer Levels in the United States
AbstractThis report provides the latest estimates by USDA’s Economic Research Service (ERS) on the amount and value of food loss in the United States. These estimates are for more than 200 individual foods using ERS’s Loss-Adjusted Food Availability data. In 2010, an estimated 31 percent or 133 billion pounds of the 430 billion pounds of food produced was not available for human consumption at the retail and consumer levels. This amount of loss totaled an estimated $161.6 billion, as purchased at retail prices. For the first time, ERS estimates of the calories associated with food loss are presented in this report. An estimated 141 trillion calories per year, or 1,249 calories per capita per day, in the food supply in 2010 went uneaten. The top three food groups in terms of share of total value of food loss are meat, poultry, and fish (30 percent); vegetables (19 percent); and dairy products (17 percent). The report also provides a brief discussion of the economic issues behind postharvest food loss.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Economic Information Bulletin with number 164262.
Date of creation: Feb 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Food consumption; food loss; food recovery; food waste; foodservice; recycling; plate waste; processing; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Consumer/Household Economics; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Food Security and Poverty; Production Economics;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reed, Jane & Frazao, Elizabeth & Itskowitz, Rachel, 2004.
"How Much Do Americans Pay for Fruits and Vegetables?,"
Agricultural Information Bulletins
33691, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Reed, Jane & Frazao, Elizabeth & Itskowitz, Rachel, 2004. "How Much Do Americans Pay for Fruits and Vegetables?," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33653, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Hyman, Jeffrey, 2012. "Total and per capita value of food loss in the United States," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 561-570.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Wells, Hodan Farah & Axtman, Bruce & Mickey, Jana, 2009. "Supermarket Loss Estimates for Fresh Fruit, Vegetables, Meat, Poultry, and Seafood and Their Use in the ERS Loss-Adjusted Food Availability Data," Economic Information Bulletin 58313, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Ribaudo, Marc & Delgado, Jorge & Hansen, LeRoy T. & Livingston, Michael J. & Mosheim, Roberto & Williamson, James M., 2011. "Nitrogen in Agricultural Systems: Implications for Conservation Policy," Economic Research Report 118022, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sullivan, Patrick & Hellerstein, Daniel & Hansen, LeRoy T. & Johansson, Robert C. & Koenig, Steven R. & Lubowski, Ruben N. & McBride, William D. & McGranahan, David A. & Roberts, Michael J. & Vogel, S, 2004. "The Conservation Reserve Program: Economic Implications for Rural America," Agricultural Economics Reports 33987, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Coleman-Jensen, Alisha & Nord, Mark & Andrews, Margaret S. & Carlson, Steven, 2011. "Household Food Security in the United States in 2011," Economic Research Report 134715, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Stewart, Hayden & Hyman, Jeffrey & Buzby, Jean C. & Frazao, Elizabeth & Carlson, Andrea, 2011. "How Much Do Fruits and Vegetables Cost?," Economic Information Bulletin 101280, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Aillery, Marcel P. & Gollehon, Noel R. & Johansson, Robert C. & Kaplan, Jonathan D. & Key, Nigel D. & Ribaudo, Marc, 2005. "Managing Manure To Improve Air And Water Quality," Economic Research Report 33593, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.