Technological Change and Economies of Scale in Danish Agriculture
AbstractThis paper presents the results of an empirical analysis of technological change and economies of scale in Danish agriculture. The estimation is based on a multi-output, multi-input translog cost function and covers the period 1973-1995. The results show that technological change varied considerably. The average rate of technological change was highest on arable farms (4.0% per year) and lowest on dairy farms (1.0% per year), with pig farms in between (2.2% per year). Alt three farm types showed an increasing trend in technological change over time, and technological changes were typically biased. The elasticity of size was considerably above 1 for both small and large arable farms and dairy farms indicating a considerable economic incentive to increase the farm size. For pig farms only the small farms showed a clear incentive to increase the farm size. The results support the hypothesis that policy measures have had a significant influence on the differences in development within the three farm types analysed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute in its series Unit of Economics Working papers with number 24185.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "The Elasticity of Scale and the Shape of Average Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 492-97, June.
- Loren W. Tauer, 1998. "Productivity of New York Dairy Farms Measured by Nonparametric Malmquist Indices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 234-249.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Darragh Clancy & A. Kazukauskas & C. Newman & Fiona Thorne, 2009. "An investigation of the level of structural change in the agrifood sector of Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands," Working Papers 0915, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.