The Response Of Cereals Traders To Agricultural Market Reform In Mali
AbstractThe purpose of this chapter is to analyze how Malian traders of coarse grains (millet, maize, and sorghum) have reacted to the cereals market reforms since 1981. The focus is on the coarse grains trade because these cereals historically have comprised the majority of the cereals consumed by Malians and because the response of the rice sector to the reforms is discussed elsewhere in this book (Diarra and Staatz 1999; Dimithè 1999). Dioné (this volume) discusses coarse-grain farmers' response to the reforms, so that topic is only discussed briefly here. The chapter draws heavily on a large body of research carried out by Malian, North American and European researchers since 1985 and on a recent evaluation of the PRMC in which the authors participated (Dembélé, Traoré, and Staatz 1999; Shields, Staatz, and Dembélé 1999; Egg, 1999).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 11476.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Staatz, John M. & Dione, Josue & Dembele, N. Nango, 1989. "Cereals market liberalization in Mali," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 703-718, May.
- Brown, Molly & Higgins, Nathaniel & Hintermann, Beat, 2013.
"A Model of West African Millet Prices in Rural Markets,"
2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C.
150714, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Molly E. Brown & Nathaniel Higgins & Beat Hintermann, 2009. "A Model of West African Millet Prices in Rural Markets," CEPE Working paper series 09-69, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Kelly, Valerie A. & Murekezi, Abdoul Karim & Me-Nsope, Nathalie Mongue & Perakis, Sonja Melissa & Mather, David, 2013. "Cereal Market Dynamics: The Malian Experience from the 1990s to Present," Food Security International Development Working Papers 146935, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Dembele, Niama Nango, 2001. "Sécurité alimentaire en Afrique Sub-saharienne: Quelle Stratégie de Réalisation?," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55455, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Kizito, Andrew M., 2009. "Estimating the Benefits from Improved Market Information," Graduate Research Masters Degree Plan B Papers 48844, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.