Greenhouse Gas Emission Trading In European Agriculture: A Comparison Of Different Policy Implementation Options In Year 2020
AbstractIn this paper the agricultural sector model CAPRI is expanded to cover non-CO2 greenhouse gas emissions from agricultural sources in Europe and policy instruments for their reduction. A stylised spatial trade model for emission permits is methodologically described and applied to the assessment of three potential policy alternatives for enforcing emission reductions from European agriculture: the EU ‘effort sharing agreement’, an EU-wide emission trading scheme between regions inside each Member State and, finally, an EUwide emission trading scheme between all European regions. This paper builds in the experience accumulated by Pérez Domínguez et al. (2010) and provides a through review of the underlying methodology, a expansion of emission sources and a larger projection line (year 2020). Results shows the importance of selecting an adequate combination of instruments of emission abatement for the design of efficient emission reduction policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium in its series Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany with number 91396.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Copenhagen agreement; effort sharing agreement; agricultural policy; economic modelling; tradable emission permits; Agricultural and Food Policy; Environmental Economics and Policy; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-08-06 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2010-08-06 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-08-06 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2010-08-06 (Microeconomic European Issues)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ignacio Pérez Domínguez & Wolfgang Britz & Karin Holm-Müller, 2009. "Trading schemes for greenhouse gas emissions from European agriculture: A comparative analysis based on different implementation options," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 90(3), pages 287-308.
- Bernd Lengers & Wolfgang Britz, 2012. "The choice of emission indicators in environmental policy design: an analysis of GHG abatement in different dairy farms based on a bio-economic model approach," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 117-144.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.