Farm Tourism and Spatial Competition
AbstractChanges in EU agricultural policies towards an increased focus on rural development issues raise questions regarding the economic impact of local and regional spatial competition. Farmers are typically price takers in the traditional markets for the major agricultural products. This is, however, not necessarily the case for “new enterprises” active in local and regional markets. This paper examines local/regional spatial competition for farm tourism. A spatial econometrics framework is applied to a hedonic pricing model. It is shown that spatial dependence affects the pricing of both Self-catering and Bed & Breakfast. However, the results indicate that local/regional competition may have a positive effect on the former but a negative effect on the latter. The findings illustrate the potential importance of local competition for rural developments studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium with number 44417.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
farm tourism; spatial competition; rural development; Community/Rural/Urban Development;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-11-25 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2008-11-25 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TUR-2008-11-25 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1995.
"Competition in Interrelated Markets: An Empirical Study,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
84, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1999. "Competition in interrelated markets: An empirical study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 353-369, April.
- Anat Tchetchik & Aliza Fleischer & Israel Finkelshtain, 2008. "Differentiation and Synergies in Rural Tourism: Estimation and Simulation of the Israeli Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 553-570.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.