Impact of EU Biofuel Policies on World Agricultural and Food Markets
AbstractThis paper assesses the global and sectoral implications of the EU biofuels directive in a multi-region computable general equilibrium framework. Our results show that without mandatory blending or subsidies to stimulate the use of biofuel crops in the petroleum sector the targets of the EU Biofuel directive will not the reached in 2010. With mandatory blending the enhanced demand for biofuel crops has a strong impact on agriculture at the global and European level. The additional demand from the energy sector might slow down or reverse the long term process of declining agricultural prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain with number 6476.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Biofuels; EU biofuel directive; agricultural markets; Computable General Equilibrium modeling; Agribusiness; International Relations/Trade; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Becker, Arno, 2008. "Biomass for energy production in the context of selected European and international policy objectives," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43974, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thomas Hertel & Jevgenijs Steinbuks & Uris Baldos, 2013.
"Competition for land in the global bioeconomy,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(s1), pages 129-138, November.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Steinbuks, Jevgenijs & Baldos, Uris Lantz C., 2012. "Competition for Land in the Global Bioeconomy," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 129614, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hertel, Thomas & Jevgenijs Steinbuks & Uris Lantz Baldos, 2012. "Competition for Land in the Global Bioeconomy," GTAP Working Papers 3982, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Ziolkowska, Jadwiga & Simon, Leo K. & Zilberman, David, 2011. "Capturing Uncertainties in Evaluation of Biofuels Feedstocks: A Multi-Criteria Approach for the US," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115980, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chantreuil, Frederic & Tabeau, Andrzej A. & van Leeuwen, Myrna, 2008. "Estimation of impact of EU agricultural policies on the world market prices," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6671, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dixon, Peter & van Meijl, Hans & Rimmer, Maureen & Shutes, Lindsay & Tabeau, Andrzej, 2013. "RED vs. REDD: Biofuel Policy vs. Forest Conservation," Factor Markets Working Papers 152, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Hertel, Thomas & Tyner, Wally & Birur, Dileep, 2008.
"Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates,"
GTAP Working Papers
2809, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008. "Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6526, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Festel, Gunter & Würmseher, Martin & Rammer, Christian & Boles, Eckhard & Bellof, Martin, 2013. "Modelling production cost scenarios for biofuels and fossil fuels in Europe," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-075, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thaeripour, Farzad & Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Beckman, Jayson F. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008. "Biofuels and their By-Products: Global Economic and Environmental Implications," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6452, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.