Milk Market Integration between Hungary and Poland
AbstractIn this paper we test the retail milk price integration between two countries, Poland and Hungary. Conventional linear cointegration methods do not reveal any relationship between the two prices, therefore we apply Gonzalo and Pitakaris (2006) method to test the linear cointegration null against the threshold cointegration with an exogenous threshold variable alternative hypothesis. Our results show, that the Hungarian Forint – Polish Zloty exchange rate is econometrically an appropriate threshold variable, the linearity null is rejected, and the two alternative regimes may be characterised with different long-run equilibrium relationships. Corresponding trade data however questions the economic appropriateness of the selected threshold variable. Further research is needed to analyse the actual effective milk trade flows between the two countries, subject to exchange rate variations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural Economics Society in its series 84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland with number 91809.
Date of creation: 29 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
horizontal integration; milk market; threshold cointegration; Food Security and Poverty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-07-17 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-TRA-2010-07-17 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetz, Linde & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "Considering threshold effects in the long-run equilibrium in a vector error correction model: An application to the German apple market," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44247, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre, 2007. "Spatial Integration On The Hungarian Milk Market," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7832, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.