Managing Phosphorous Soil Dynamics Over Space And Time
AbstractUnderstanding the relationship between soil fertility dynamics and crop response is conceptually appealing. Even more appealing is comprehension of the spatial and temporal heterogeneity of these connections over a production surface and across seasons. Knowledge of these interactions is complicated because nutrient carryover dynamics and crop response to inputs are determined simultaneously on the one-hand, and sequentially on the other. A second problem enters when crops are rotated, for example, in the corn-soybean system commonly practiced in the Corn Belt. This paper examines the nutrient carryover-crop response nexus using data from a corn-soybean, variable-rate nitrogen (N) and phosphorous (P) experiment conducted over five years. Site-specific corn response to N and P and soybean response to P are simultaneously estimated with a P carryover equation. These estimates are used in a dynamic programming model to map site-specific optimal N and P fertilizer policies, soil P evolution, and profitability. The net present value of managing N and P site-specifically is compared to a strategy where these inputs are managed uniformly following extension guidelines. The results suggest that when P-carryover is managed, site-specific returns to the variable-rate strategies are higher than returns to a conventional, uniform strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI with number 19452.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chavas, Jean-Paul, 1999. "On Dynamic Arbitrage Pricing and Information: The Case of the US Broiler Sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(4), pages 493-510, December.
- John O.S. Kennedy & I.F. Whan & R. Jackson & John L. Dillon, 1973. "Optimal Fertilizer Carryover And Crop Recycling Policies For A Tropical Grain Crop," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(2), pages 104-113, 08.
- Luc Anselin & Rodolfo Bongiovanni & Jess Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2004. "A Spatial Econometric Approach to the Economics of Site-Specific Nitrogen Management in Corn Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 675-687.
- Kennedy, John O.S. & Whan, Ian F. & Jackson, R. & Dillon, John L., 1973. "Optimal Fertilizer Carryover And Crop Recycling Policies For A Tropical Grain Crop," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(02), August.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992.
"Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586, November.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465, November.
- Linda Whipker & jay Akridge, 2006. "2006 Precision Agricultural Services Dealership Survey Results," Working Papers 06-10, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Bullock, David S. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, Jess & Swinton, Scott M., 2002. "Adding value to spatially managed inputs by understanding site-specific yield response," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 233-245, November.
- Alban Thomas, 2003. "A dynamic model of on-farm integrated nitrogen management," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 439-460, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.