Interregional Analysis Of The Impacts Of Eliminating European Union Milk Production Quotas
AbstractAn hedonic spatial equilibrium model of the European Union dairy sector is used to evaluate the interregional impacts of eliminating milk production quotas under a variety of domestic policy (intervention prices and domestic production/consumption subsidies) and trade policies (tariff rate quotas and export subsidies). The simulation results indicate that the removal of the EU milk production quotas is welfare improving both only with substantial liberalization of trade. Hence, production quota removal by itself is not a desirable policy alternative for either the EU or the world. Rather, policy reform should involve the joint consideration of domestic and trade policy instruments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL with number 20677.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Agricultural and Food Policy; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- GianCarlo Moschini & Paolo Sckokai, 1994.
"Efficiency of Decoupled Farm Programs under Distortionary Taxation,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
94-gatt5, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- GianCarlo Moschini & Paolo Sckokai, 1994. "Efficiency of Decoupled Farm Programs under Distortionary Taxation," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 94-gatt5, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Sckokai, Paolo, 1994. "Efficiency of Decoupled Farm Programs Under Distortionary Taxatioin," Staff General Research Papers 12713, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Sckokai, Paolo, 1994. "Efficiency of Decoupled Farm Programs Under Distortionary Taxation," Staff General Research Papers 690, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993.
"A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1987. "On the Marginal Welfare Cost of Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 11-23, March.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H & Woodland, Alan D, 1991. "Strict Pareto-Improving Multilateral Reforms of Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1127-52, July.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H. & Woodland, Alan D., 2000. "Multilateral policy reforms and quantity restrictions on trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 153-168, October.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1970. "On the Optimum Structure of Commodity Taxes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 295-301, June.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L. & Jesse, Edward, 1998. "Spatial allocation and the shadow pricing of product characteristics," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1987. "Causes of U.S. Farm Commodity Programs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 290-310, April.
- Neary, J Peter, 1989.
"Trade Liberalization and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Trade Liberalisation and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 531-54, August.
- de Gorter, Harry & Meilke, Karl D., 1988. "Efficiency Of Alternative Policies For The EC's Common Agricultural Policy," Working Papers 123559, University of Guelph, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "Trade Reform with Quotas, Partial Rent Retention, and Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Diewert, W E & Turunen-Red, A H & Woodland, A D, 1989. "Productivity- and Pareto-Improving Changes in Taxes and Tariffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 199-215, April.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1988. "Tariffs, quotas and piecemeal policy reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 177-183, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.