The implementor/adversarial algorithm for cyclic and robust scheduling problems in health-care
AbstractA general problem in health-care consists in allocating some scarce medical resource, such as operating rooms or medical staff, to medical specialties in order to keep the queue of patients as short as possible. A major difficulty stems from the fact that such an allocation must be established several months in advance, whereas the exact number of patients for each specialty is an uncertain parameter. Another problem arises for cyclic schedules, where the allocation is defined over a short period, e.g. a week, and then repeated during the time horizon. Even if the demand is perfectly known in advance, the number of patients may vary from week to week. We model both the uncertain and the cyclic allocation problem as adjustable robust scheduling problems. We develop a row and column generation algorithm to solve this problem: this turns out to be the implementor/adversarial algorithm for robust optimization recently introduced by Bienstock for portfolio selection. We apply our general model to compute master surgery schedules for a real-life instance from a large hospital in Oslo.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" in its series DIS Technical Reports with number 2011-03.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Health-care optimization; Master surgery scheduling; Robust optimization; Mixed-integer programming;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2012-03-08 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-HEA-2012-03-08 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belien, Jeroen & Demeulemeester, Erik, 2007. "Building cyclic master surgery schedules with leveled resulting bed occupancy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 1185-1204, January.
- Hans, Erwin & Wullink, Gerhard & van Houdenhoven, Mark & Kazemier, Geert, 2008. "Robust surgery loading," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1038-1050, March.
- Manishi Prasad & Peter Wahlqvist & Rich Shikiar & Ya-Chen Tina Shih, 2004. "A," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 22(4), pages 225-244.
- Cardoen, Brecht & Demeulemeester, Erik & Beliën, Jeroen, 2010. "Operating room planning and scheduling: A literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 921-932, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonietta Angelica Zucconi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.