Is the foreign capital leaving industrialized countries? The case of Spain
AbstractWithin the present scenario of world economic integration and opening of markets, a restructuring of the international localisation of firms is underway. This is giving rise to processes of foreign direct capital divestment in some of the most developed countries that have, to a greater extent, based their development onthe provision of resources and technology from abroad via foreign direct investment. At the moment, there is not enough information to approach the magnitude and consequences of this process which complements and overlaps this other of recolation of firms. This study analyze the case of one of the most characteristic countries, Spain, looking for a capture of the importance and effects of the referred process. Here, the foreign divestment, which has grown very fast, is, and has been particulary until now, the consequence of an intense process of intrasector restructuring of the activities of non-residents companies, in which companies owned by residents also take part asa ctive buyers. The most negative effect comes from the fact that some extremly high-tech activities dedicated to international trade and with great influence in the internal market have left the national territory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales in its series Working Papers with number 04-03.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2004
Date of revision:
foreign direct investment; divestment; international investment; multinational firms; manufacturing; Spain; Europe.;
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos M. Fernández-Otheo & Rafael Myro, . "Is the foreign capital leaving industrialized countries? The case of Spain," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 04-03, FEDEA.
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Bernard & Fredrik Sjoholm, 2003. "Foreign Owners and Plant Survival," NBER Working Papers 10039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Bellak, Christian & Cantwell, John, 2004. "Revaluing the capital stock of international production," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-18, February.
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 1999. "Closure and Divestiture By Foreign Entrants: The Impact of Entry and Post-Entry Strategies," Working Papers w199906, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Gallardo Ramiro, M V, 2010.
"Fundamentos en la toma de decisiones de deslocalización empresarial e inversión internacional
[The decision-making process in offshoring and international investment]," MPRA Paper 23259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Diaz-Mora & Carmen Diaz-Roldan, 2010.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Growth: An Analysis of the Spanish Case,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 373-382.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Mora & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and regional growth: An analysis of the Spanish case," Working Papers 07-08, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Gallardo Ramiro, M V, 2010.
"Deslocalización empresarial e inversión directa internacional
[Offshoring and international investment]," MPRA Paper 23228, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jose L. Torres).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.