Energy Tariffs, Production, and Income in a Small Open Economy
AbstractA tariff on imported energy in a small open economy alters production, redistributes income, and generates tariff revenue. The present paper includes tariff revenue in a general equilibrium economy producing two traded goods with imported energy and domestic capital and labor. An energy tariff reduces energy intensive output and domestic factor income but payment to one domestic factor may rise as might the other output. Tariff revenue, not included in the related theoretical literature, is shown to be concave in the tariff. A simulation illustrates these general equilibrium properties including the revenue maximizing tariff.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Auburn University in its series Auburn Economics Working Paper Series with number auwp2013-11.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 0326 Haley Center, Auburn University, AL 36849-5049
Phone: (334) 844-4910
Fax: (334) 844-4615
Web page: http://cla.auburn.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Energy Tariffs; Tariff Revenue; General Equilibrium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lloyd A. Metzler, 1949. "Tariffs, International Demand, and Domestic Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57, pages 345.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1982.
"Factor Trade and Goods Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
0999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dissou, Yazid & Eyland, Terry, 2011. "Carbon control policies, competitiveness, and border tax adjustments," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 556-564, May.
- Ruffin, Roy J, 1969. "Tariffs, Intermediate Goods, and Domestic Protection," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 261-69, June.
- Panagariya, Arvind, 1992. "Input tariffs, duty drawbacks, and tariff reforms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 131-147, February.
- Chang, Winston W, 1979. "Some Theorems of Trade and General Equilibrium with Many Goods and Factors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 709-26, May.
- Thompson, Henry, 2006. "The applied theory of energy substitution in production," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 410-425, July.
- Griffin, James M & Gregory, Paul R, 1976. "An Intercountry Translog Model of Energy Substitution Responses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 845-57, December.
- Kline, David & Weyant, John P., 1982. "Reducing dependence on oil imports," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 51-64, January.
- Semboja, Haji Hatibu Haji, 1994. "The effects of energy taxes on the Kenyan economy : A CGE analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 205-215, July.
- Weitzel, Matthias & Hübler, Michael & Peterson, Sonja, 2012.
"Fair, optimal or detrimental? Environmental vs. strategic use of border carbon adjustment,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(S2), pages S198-S207.
- Matthias Weitzel & Michael Hübler & Sonja Peterson, 2012. "Fair, Optimal or Detrimental? Environmental vs. Strategic Use of Border Carbon Adjustment," Kiel Working Papers 1792, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jones, Clifton T., 1990. "An oil import fee and drilling activity in the USA : A comment," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 302-304, October.
- Henry Thompson, 1985. "Complementarity in a Simple General Equilibrium Production Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 616-21, August.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Christensen, Laurits R, 1973. "The Internal Structure of Functional Relationships: Separability, Substitution and Aggregation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 403-10, July.
- Proost, S. & Van Regemorter, D., 1992. "Economic effects of a carbon tax : With a general equilibrium illustration for Belgium," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 136-149, April.
- Ferguson, D. G., 1978. "International capital mobility and comparative advantage : The two-country, two-factor case," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 373-396, August.
- Ruffin, Roy J., 1977. "A note on the Heckscher-Ohlin theorem," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 403-405, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hyeongwoo Kim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.