Diagnostic study of the Volta Basin fisheries: Part 2 Livelihoods and poverty analysis, current trends and projections
AbstractThe Basin Focal Project for the Volta (BFP-Volta) is a research project funded by the Challenge Programme on Water and Food (CPWF). Its aim is to provide an in-depth analysis of issues related to water in the Volta Basin through three main thematic issues: water-poverty, water availability/use and water productivity. The overall objective of the BFP-Volta is to contribute to the main goal of the CPWF, that is, to alleviate poverty through better management of water in order to enhance agricultural productivity and environment conservation. In this context, the WorldFish Center has been commissioned by the BFP-Volta to produce a report focusing more specifically on the fisheries resources and the link that may exist between poverty and those fisheries in the Volta basin. The present document is the second part of this report. Its main objective is to conduct a socioeconomic and poverty analysis of the fishing communities living in the Volta Basin, based on an assessment of the current situation and potential future changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The WorldFish Center in its series Working Papers with number 38823 and published in 2007.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Jalan Batu Maung, Batu Maung, 11960 Bayan Lepas, Penang
Phone: +60 4 626 1606
Fax: +60 4 626 5530
Web page: http://www.worldfishcenter.org/
More information through EDIRC
Fishery resources; Inland fisheries; Dams; Ghana; Voltaian Basin; Ghana; Volta L.; Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bailey, Conner & Cycon, Dean & Morris, Michael, 1986. "Fisheries development in the Third World: The role of international agencies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(10-11), pages 1269-1275.
- Kolding, J. & van Zwieten, P., 2006. "Improving productivity in tropical lakes and reservoirs," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 37509, October.
- Pramila Krishnan & Stefan Dercon, 1995.
"Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1995-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 1995. "Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1995-12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Frank Ellis, 1998. "Household strategies and rural livelihood diversification," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-38.
- Bailey, Conner & Jentoft, Svein, 1990. "Hard choices in fisheries development," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 333-344, July.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Moser, Caroline O. N., 1998. "The asset vulnerability framework: Reassessing urban poverty reduction strategies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-19, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Ko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.