Review of Part X of the Trade Practices Act 1974: International Liner Cargo Shipping
AbstractThe Productivity Commission’s inquiry report, 'Review of Part X of the Trade Practices Act 1974: International Liner Cargo Shipping', was released on 5 October 2005. The Commission was asked to examine and report on the rational, effects and alternatives to Part X, which allow international liner operators to cooperate and form conferences under the conditional exemptions from the Act. The Commission maintains that evaluation and selective registration of agreements is necessary if Australia is to be confident that only those that provided a net public benefit are allowed to operate. It maintained its preferred option for authorisation under Part X. Under this option, Part X would be repealed and the liner cargo shipping industry would be subject to the general provision of the Act. The Commission proposed four-year transitional arrangement. If Part X is not repealed, the Commission recommended improving current arrangements through either selective registration or excluding from registration ‘discussion agreements’.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Productivity Commission, Government of Australia in its series Inquiry Reports with number 32 and published in 2005.
ISBN: 1 74037 167 4
Note: 392 pages
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Level 28, 35 Collins St, Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone: 61 3 9653 2100
Fax: 61 3 9653 2199
Web page: http://www.pc.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
Part X; trade practices Act 1974; international liner cargo shipping; liner cargo shipping; Australian shipping; ship conference;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Z - Other Special Topics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2001.
"Trade in international maritime services : how much does policy matter?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2522, The World Bank.
- Carsten Fink & Aaditya Mattoo & Ileana Cristina Neagu, 2002. "Trade in International Maritime Services: How Much Does Policy Matter?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 81-108, June.
- Jim Engle-Warnick & Bradley J Ruffle, 2002.
"Buyer Countervailing Power versus Monopoly Power: Evidence from Experimental Posted-Offer Markets,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2002-W14, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Jim Engle-Warnick & Bradley Ruffle, 2002. "Buyer Countervailing Power versus Monopoly Power: Evidence from Experimental Posted-Offer Markets," Economics Papers 2002-W14, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Mukesh Eswaran, 1997. "Cartel Unity over the Business Cycle," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 644-72, August.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1984. "Strategic Deterrence of Sequential Entry into an Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(1), pages 1-11, Spring.
- A. Michael Spence, 1977. "Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 534-544, Autumn.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
- James D. Dana & Jr., 1998. "Advance-Purchase Discounts and Price Discrimination in Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(2), pages 395-422, April.
- Sjostrom, William, 1989. "Collusion in Ocean Shipping: A Test of Monopoly and Empty Core Model s," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1160-79, October.
- Brian Slack & Claude Comtois & Robert McCalla, 2002. "Strategic alliances in the container shipping industry: a global perspective," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 65-76, January.
- Alejandro Micco & Natalia Perez, 2002. "Determinants of Maritime Transport Costs," Research Department Publications 4247, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Bittlingmayer, George, 1985. "Did Antitrust Policy Cause the Great Merger Wave?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 77-118, April.
- Hercules E Haralambides & Pierre Cariou & Marco Benacchio, 2002. "Costs, Benefits and Pricing of Dedicated Container Terminals," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(1), pages 21-34, March.
- R. G. McLellan, 1997. "Bigger vessels: How big is too big?," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 193-211, January.
- Notteboom Theo E., 2004. "Container Shipping And Ports: An Overview," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-21, June.
- McWilliams, Abagail & Keith, Kristen, 1994. "The genesis of the trusts : Rationalization in empty core markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 245-267, June.
- Jansson, Jan Owen & Shneerson, Dan, 1978. "Economies of Scale of General Cargo Ships," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 287-93, May.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, December.
- Mike Fusillo, 2003. "Excess Capacity and Entry Deterrence: The Case of Ocean Liner Shipping Markets," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 5(2), pages 100-115, June.
- D. K. Ryoo & H. A. Thanopoulou, 1999. "Liner alliances in the globalization era: a strategic tool for Asian container carriers," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 349-367, October.
- Lee Darin, 2003. "An Assessment of Some Recent Criticisms of the U.S. Airline Industry," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-9, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MAPS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.