Existence of an exact Walrasian equilibrium in nonconvex economies
AbstractThe existence of an exact Walrasian equilibrium in nonconvex economies is still a largely unexplored issue. This paper shows that such an equilibrium exists in nonconvex economies by following the nearby economyapproach introduced by Postlewaite and Schmeidler (Approximate Walrasian Equilibrium and Nearby Economies, 1981) for convex economies. More precisely, the paper shows that any equilibrium price of the convexified version of a nonconvex economy is an equilibrium price also for a set of perturbed economies with the same number of agents. It shows that in this set there are economies that differ from the original economy only as regards preferences or initial endowments. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its journal Economics: The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Exact Walrasian equilibrium; nonconvex economies; perturbed economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hildenbrand, Werner & Schmeidler, David & Zamir, Shmuel, 1973.
"Existence of Approximate Equilibria and Cores,"
Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1159-66, November.
- Felix Kubler, 2007. "Approximate Generalizations and Computational Experiments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 967-992, 07.
- Robert M. Anderson & M. Ali Khan & Salim Rashid, 1981.
"Approximate Equilibria with Bounds Independent of Preferences,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
595, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Anderson, Robert M & Khan, M Ali & Rashid, Salim, 1982. "Approximate Equilibria with Bounds Independent of Preferences," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 473-75, July.
- K.Schmedders & F.Kubler, 2004.
"Approximate Versus Exact Equilibria,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
46, Society for Computational Economics.
- Smale, S., 1974. "Global analysis and economics IIA : Extension of a theorem of Debreu," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2005. "Approximate versus Exact Equilibria in Dynamic Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1205-1235, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.