Robustness of the Uniqueness of Walrasian Equilibrium with Cobb-Douglas Utilities
AbstractThe majority of results in the literature on general equilibrium are not for an economy (i.e. given an endowment and preferences), but rather, for a set of economies (i.e. a set of endowments given preferences). Therefore, we argue that the most appropriate robustness result requires perturbing economies uniformly over the space of endowments for which the result is obtained. In this paper, we examine the robustness of the uniqueness of Walrasian endowment economies with Cobb-Douglas utility functions under this interpretation of robustness. Namely, we prove that for economies described by Cobb-Douglas utilities and all endowments in a fixed set, uniqueness of equilibrium is robust to perturbations of the utility functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania in its series PIER Working Paper Archive with number 09-038.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 30 Oct 2009
Date of revision:
Walrasian Equilibrium; Uniqueness; Robustness;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smale, S., 1974. "Global analysis and economics IIA : Extension of a theorem of Debreu," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Allen, Beth, 1981. "Utility perturbations and the equilibrium price set," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 277-307, October.
- Balasko, Yves, 1975. "Some results on uniqueness and on stability of equilibrium in general equilibrium theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-118.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dolly Guarini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.