Survivorship in the US hospital services industry
AbstractOver the last two decades, changing state and federal regulations and increased price competition have dramatically changed the environment in which hospitals compete. This paper uses observations drawn at 5-year intervals from 1973 to 1993 for each of the 50 states to examine the specific effect of these factors on the size distribution of hospitals. It finds that Certificate of Need (CON) laws and rate review regulations have tended to favor large hospitals. The paper also finds that hospitals have responded to increased payer price sensitivity by seeking a medium bed-size capacity. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simpson, John, 1995. "A note on entry by small hospitals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 107-113, May.
- Lee Rivers Mobley & H. E. Frech, 1994. "Firm Growth and Failure in Increasingly Competitive Markets Theory and Application to Hospital Markets," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 77-93.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Lanning, Joyce A & Morrisey, Michael A & Ohsfeldt, Robert L, 1991. "Endogenous Hospital Regulation and Its Effects on Hospital and Non-hospital Expenditures," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 137-54, June.
- Gary D. Ferrier & Hervé Leleu & James Moises & Vivian Valdmanis, 2009. "The Size and Service Offering Efficiencies of U.S. Hospitals," Working Papers 2009-ECO-09, IESEG School of Management.
- Laurie J. Bates & Rexford E. Santerre, 2005. "Do Agglomeration Economies Exist in the Hospital Services Industry," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 617-628, Fall.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.