Endogenous Hospital Regulation and Its Effects on Hospital and Non-hospital Expenditures
AbstractPast studies of hospital rate setting regulation conclude that mature programs have been effective in constraining hospital expenditures. However, if rate regulation is influenced by higher hospital expenditures the relationship between expenditures and rate setting is confounded. This study assesses the impact of rate setting on hospital and non-hospital expenditures using a simultaneous-equation model which separates the effects of hospital expenditures on the decision to regulate from the effects of regulation on expenditures. The simultaneous-equation results indicate that mature rate setting is associated with lower per capita health care expenditures, including hosital and non-hospital expenditures. Copyright 1991 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 3 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guy David & Lorens A. Helmchen & Robert A. Henderson, 2009. "Does advanced medical technology encourage hospitalist use and their direct employment by hospitals?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 237-247.
- Vivian Ho, 2006. "Does certificate of need affect cardiac outcomes and costs?," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 300-324, December.
- Rexford E. Santerre & Debra Pepper, 2000. "Survivorship in the US hospital services industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 181-189.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.