Joint estimation of information acquisition and adoption of new technologies under uncertainty
AbstractThis article develops a framework to examine households' joint decision to acquire information on new technologies and the adoption of the technology in the presence of uncertainty. The empirical application involved a sample of 406 dairy farmers in Tanzania. Education, scale of production, household size, age, and liquidity constraints are hypothesized to be the determinants of information acquisition and adoption decisions. The empirical evidence indicates that information acquisition and adoption decisions are made jointly. The findings also show that human capital and scale of operation positively and significantly affect the decision to acquire information and to adopt the technology, while liquidity constraints negatively impact on the decision to adopt, as well as the extent of adoption. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 20 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman, Wallace E., 2001.
"Human Capital, Education, and Agriculture,"
Staff General Research Papers
5329, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E., 2001. "Human Capital: Education and Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers 5327, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace, 2001. "Human Capital, Education, and Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers 10438, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Owusu, Victor & Abdulai, Awudu, 2009. "Joint Adoption of Safer Irrigation Technologies under Uncertainty: Evidence from Ghana," MPRA Paper 43822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2010.
"Innovation Behaviour At Farm Level – Selection And Identification,"
114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany
61354, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2009. "Innovation behaviour at farm level: Selection and identification," 49th Annual Conference, Kiel, Germany, September 30-October 2, 2009 53276, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2009. "Innovation Behaviour At Farm Level – Selection And Identification," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51073, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David D., 2009. "Innovation behaviour at micro level - selection and identification," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6t49r0fh, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.