Growth and the poor: a comment on Dollar and Kraay
AbstractIn a recent paper Dollar and Kraay come to sweeping conclusions about economic growth and the poor. On the basis of empirical work they assert that standard World Bank and IMF policy packages are good for the poor. This paper demonstrates that (i) the empirical work is based on theoretically unsound equations; (ii) the data are seriously flawed; and (iii) the policy variables are not defined appropriately, nor are they tested in a consistent manner. These problems imply that the policy conclusions of the authors are unsafe. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2000.
"Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data-Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
379, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Atkinson, A.B. & Brandolini, A., 2000. "Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data -Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries," Papers 379, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1996.
"A New Data Set Measuring Income Inequality,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(3), pages 565-91, September.
- Klaus Deininger & Lyn Squire, 1996. "A New Data Set Measuring Income Inequality," CEMA Working Papers 512, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Hongyi Li & Lyn Squire & Tao Zhang & Heng-fu Zou, 1999. "A Data Set on Income Distribution," CEMA Working Papers 575, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Mosley, Paul & Subasat, Turan & Weeks, John, 1995. "Assessing adjustment in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1459-1473, September.
- John Weeks, 1997. "Analysis of the Demery and Squire 'Adjustment and Poverty' Evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(6), pages 827-836.
- A.B. Atkinson, 1998. "The distribution of income in industrialized countries," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 11-32.
- Easterly, William, 2001.
"The Effect of IMF and World Bank Programmes on Poverty,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- William Easterly, 2010. "The Effect of IMF and World Bank Programmes on Poverty," Working Papers id:3193, eSocialSciences.
- Dagdeviren, Hulya & van der Hoeven, Rolph & Weeks, John, 2002. "Redistribution Does Matter Growth and Redistribution for Poverty Reduction," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Demery, Lionel & Squire, Lyn, 1996. "Macroeconomic Adjustment and Poverty in Africa: An Emerging Picture," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 39-59, February.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Lustig, Nora, 1999. "Why is Inequality Back on the Agenda?," Working Papers 127690, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ashley, Richard, 2008. "Growth may be good for the poor, but decline is disastrous: On the non-robustness of the Dollar-Kraay result," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 333-338.
- Frederick Nixson, 2006. "Rethinking the political economy of development: back to basics and beyond," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(7), pages 967-981.
- Richard A. Ashley., 2006. "Growth May Be Good for the Poor, But Decline is Disastrous: On the Non-Robustness of the Dollar-Kraay "Growth is Good for the Poor" Result," Working Papers e06-8, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Bussmann, Margit, 2009. "The Effect of Trade Openness on Women's Welfare and Work Life," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1027-1038, June.
- Almås, Ingvild & Johnsen, Åshild Auglænd, 2012.
"The cost of living in China: Implications for inequality and poverty,"
Discussion Paper Series in Economics
21/2012, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Almås, Ingvild & Johnsen, Åshild Auglænd, 2013. "The Cost of Living in China: Implications for Inequality and Poverty," Memorandum 06/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.