Will the new aid agenda help promote poverty reduction?
AbstractAid is widely perceived to have failed at poverty reduction. The last decade has seen a renewed focus on poverty and a number of changes in aid management. Will these improve aid's effectiveness at reducing poverty? The adoption of the International Development Targets is an important rallying point in emphazising poverty concerns, but do not tell us how to achieve them. Sector programmes and Poverty Reduction Strategies can both be important in enhancing the efficiency of expenditures, though there have been problems in implementation, mainly of donors being reluctant to allow government to lead the process. Less desirable are the move to selectivity on the basis of 'good policies' and attempts to earmark debt relief to poverty reduction expenditures. But the real issue to be tackled is to ensure that a greater proportion of aid resources are used in ways which will directly benefit the poor. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Robert Lensink & Howard White, 2000. "Aid allocation, poverty reduction and the Assessing Aid report," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 399-412.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Jones, S.P., 1997. "Sector Investment Programs in Africa: Issues and Experiences," Papers 374, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Moore, Mick & Leavy, Jennifer & Houtzager, Peter & White, Howard, 1999. "Polity qualities: how governance affects poverty," MPRA Paper 9467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Lensink & Howard White, 2000. "Assessing Aid: A Manifesto for Aid in the 21st Century?," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 5-18.
- Howard White, 2005. "Dollars, dialogue and development: an evaluation of Swedish program aid," Development and Comp Systems 0511012, EconWPA.
- McGillivray, M. & White, H., 1993. "Explanatory studies of aid allocation among developing countries : a critical survey," ISS Working Papers - General Series 1765018942, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University (ISS), The Hague.
- White, Howard, 2002.
"Long-run Trends and Recent Developments in Official Assistance from Donor Countries,"
7199, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- White, Howard, 2002. "Long-run Trends and Recent Developments in Official Assistance from Donor Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ziesemer, Thomas, 2012. "The impact of development aid on education and health: Survey and new evidence from dynamic models," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 057, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Howard White, 2001. "National and international redistribution as tools for poverty reduction," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 343-351.
- Operations Evaluation Department, 2004. "2003 Annual Review of Development Effectiveness : The Effectiveness of Bank Support for Policy Reform," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14925.
- Derek Headey, 2008. "Geopolitics and the effect of foreign aid on economic growth: 1970-2001," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 161-180.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.