National and international redistribution as tools for poverty reduction
AbstractThe World Development Report makes the case for redistribution but then fails to give adequate focus to redistributive policies as the core of anti-poverty strategies. Simple calculations show the power that small amounts of redistribution can have to reduce poverty at both the global and national levels. Mechanisms for global redistribution, through aid, trade, technology and immigration are inadequately utilized. National level policies should encompass the full range of assets and go beyond incremental redistribution. The capacity of the fiscal system to provide safety nets is also important. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Howard White, 2001. "Will the new aid agenda help promote poverty reduction?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 1057-1070.
- Raffer, Kunibert, 1998. "The tobin tax: Reviving a discussion," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 529-538, March.
- Michael Hubbard, 2001. "Attacking Poverty-a strategic dilemma for the World Bank," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 293-298.
- Burnell, Peter, 2004. "Foreign Aid Resurgent: New Spirit or Old Hangover?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Rati Ram, 2007. "Roles of income and equality in poverty reduction: recent cross-country evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(7), pages 919-926.
- Luebker, Malte, 2012. "Income Inequality, Redistribution and Poverty: Contrasting rational choice and behavioural perspectives," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lübker, Malte, 2005. "Globalization and perceptions of social inequality," ILO Working Papers 376167, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.