Standards of living, human development indices and structural adjustments in developing countries: an empirical investigation
AbstractThis paper attempts to examine whether the structural adjustment programmes of the World Bank have improved the standards of living and human development indices in the treated countries. It appears that while during the adjustment period the average real per capita income has grown faster in these countries this has not been the pattern for the indicators of standards of living. Although there exists a relationship between the human development indices and income for countries considered, the income elasticity of the non-income components of the human development indices examined here are very low for the countries which have benefited for a longer period from the structural adjustment loans and similarly for the non-treated countries. It seems that the physical standards of living examined here, though depending on per capita income, were relatively more influenced by other factors. In conclusion the validity of a high concentration of adjustment programmes on income growth as the main target is questioned. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 10 (1998)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Other versions of this item:
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1999. "Standards of living, human development indices and structural adjustments in developing countries: an empirical investigation," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 151-175.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- Haq, Mahbub ul (ed.), 1996. "Reflections on Human Development," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195101935.
- Kakwani, N., 1993. "Performance in living standards : An international comparison," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 307-336, August.
- Streeten, Paul, 1994. "Human Development: Means and Ends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 232-37, May.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Weale, Martin, 1992. "On measuring the quality of life," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 119-131, January.
- Mohsin S. Khan, 1990. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Fund-Supported Adjustment Programs," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 195-231, June.
- Kakwani, N., 1995. "Structural Adjustment and Performance in Living Standards in Developing Countries," Papers 95-12, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, .
"Human Development and Regional Disparities in Iran:A Policy Model,"
2001_1, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- F. Noorbakhsh, 2002. "Human development and regional disparities in Iran: a policy model," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 927-949.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad & Paloni, Alberto & Youssef, Ali, 2001. "Human Capital and FDI Inflows to Developing Countries: New Empirical Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1593-1610, September.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "Human Development and Regional Disparities in India," Working Papers 2003_12, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "The Dynamics of Spatial Inequality and Polarisation in Iran," Working Papers 2003_17, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh & Shadan Noorbakhsh, . "Human Development and the World Bank Adjustment Programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 2005_8, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Purohit, Brijesh C., 2008. "Health and human development at sub-state level in India," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2248-2260, December.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "International Convergence and Inequality of Human Development: 1975-2001," Working Papers 2006_3, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "Spatial inequality and polarisation in India," Working Papers 2004_5, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.