Profit efficiency and ownership of German hospitals
AbstractThis paper investigates the cost and profit efficiency of German hospitals and their variation with ownership type. It is motivated by the empirical finding that private (for-profit) hospitals – having been shown to be less cost efficient in the past – on average earn higher profits than public hospitals. We conduct a Stochastic Frontier Analysis on a multifaceted administrative German data set combined with the balance sheets of 541 hospitals of the years 2002–2006. The results show no significant differences in cost efficiency but higher profit efficiency of private than of publicly owned hospitals. Copyright (C) 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749
hospital efficiency ; ownership ; stochastic frontier analysis ; profit function ;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dormont, Brigitte & Milcent, Carine, 2012.
"Ownership and Hospital Productivity,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Herr, Annika, 2010.
"Quality and welfare in a mixed duopoly with regulated prices: The case of a public and a private hospital,"
DICE Discussion Papers
07, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Annika Herr, 2011. "Quality and Welfare in a Mixed Duopoly with Regulated Prices: The Case of a Public and a Private Hospital," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(4), pages 422-437, November.
- Helmut Herwartz & Christoph Strumann, 2012. "On the effect of prospective payment on local hospital competition in Germany," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 48-62, March.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas & Busse, Reinhard, 2012. "Hospital ownership and efficiency: A review of studies with particular focus on Germany," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 163-171.
- Stefan Felder & Harald Tauchmann, 2013. "Federal state differentials in the efficiency of health production in Germany: an artifact of spatial dependence?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 21-39, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.