Developing marketing strategies for green grocers: An application of SERVQUAL
AbstractSuccessful food retailing depends to a significant degree on providing a positive shopping environment for consumers. The SERVQUAL format is one way of gathering information about shoppers' ideal and actual ratings of an outlet's characteristics. Three modifications of the conventional application of the questionnaire are described. Implementation of the methodology is shown to be an effective tool for a retailer to identify strengths and weaknesses with respect to patrons' evaluations of outlet characteristics. Six green grocers were selected to reflect the diversity of outlets in a state, and the survey was conducted in the spring of 2000. Results indicate consumer ratings vary by feature group for ideal, actual, and actual minus ideal subgroup scores. The information can be used to generate better store-specific strategies to meet consumer expectations. [EconLit citations: C42, Q13.] © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 21: 81-96, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvin, Linda & Cook, Roberta L. & Denbaly, Mark & Dimitri, Carolyn & Glaser, Lewrene K. & Handy, Charles R. & Jekanowski, Mark D. & Kaufman, Phillip R. & Krissoff, Barry & Thompson, Gary D. & Thornsb, 2001. "U.S. Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Marketing: Emerging Trade Practices, Trends, and Issues," Agricultural Economics Reports, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service 33915, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Dimitri, Carolyn & Tegene, Abebayehu & Kaufman, Phillip R., 2003. "U.S. Fresh Produce Markets: Marketing Channels, Trade Practices, And Retail Pricing Behavior," Agricultural Economics Reports, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service 33907, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- J.R. McDaniel & Marc A. Louargand, 1994. "Real Estate Brokerage Service Quality: An Examination," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(3), pages 339-352.
- Michael A. Gunderson & Allan W. Gray & Jay T. Akridge, 2009. "Service quality in agronomic inputs: does the hierarchical model apply?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 500-519.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.