Heterogeneity in the likelihood of market advisory service use by U.S. crop producers
AbstractAnalysis of a unique data set of 1,400 U.S. crop producers using a mixture-modeling framework shows that the likelihood of Marketing Advisory Services (MAS) use is, among others, driven by the perceived performance of MAS in terms of return and risk reduction, the match between the MAS and the crop producer's marketing philosophy, and the interaction between them. The influence of these factors on crop producers' MAS usage is not homogeneous across crop producers. The heterogeneity is played out in different MAS choices and appears to be driven by crop producers' risk attitudes. [EconLit citations: D210, D400, L100, L200, M310, Q120, Q130.] © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 21: 109-128, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993.
" Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-58, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," NBER Working Papers 4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arcidiacono, Peter & Jones, John B., 2000.
"Finite Mixture Distribution, Sequential Likelihood, and the EM Algorithm,"
00-16, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Arcidiacono & John Bailey Jones, 2003. "Finite Mixture Distributions, Sequential Likelihood and the EM Algorithm," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 933-946, 05.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Philip Garcia, 2001. "Measuring Producers' Risk Preferences: A Global Risk-Attitude Construct," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 993-1009.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Kastens, Terry L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 1998. "Perceptions Of Marketing Strategies: Producers Versus Extension Economists," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Gerald F. Ortmann & George F. Patrick & Wesley N. Musser & D. Howard Doster, 1993. "Use of private consultants and other sources of information by large cornbelt farmers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 391-402.
- Michel Wedel & Wayne DeSarbo, 1995. "A mixture likelihood approach for generalized linear models," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 21-55, March.
- Wittink, Dick R & Krishnamurthi, Lakshman & Nutter, Julia B, 1982. " Comparing Derived Importance Weights Across Attributes," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 471-74, March.
- Michael J. Ginzberg, 1981. "Early Diagnosis of MIS Implementation Failure: Promising Results and Unanswered Questions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 459-478, April.
- Colino, Evelyn V. & Cabrini, Silvina M. & Aulerich, Nicole M. & Brandenberger, Tracy L. & Merrin, Robert P. & Shi, Wei & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Martines-Filho, Joao, 2006. "Advisory Service Marketing Profiles for Corn over 2002-2004," AgMAS Project Research Reports 37484, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Colino, Evelyn V. & Cabrini, Silvina M. & Aulerich, Nicole M. & Brandenberger, Tracy L. & Merrin, Robert P. & Shi, Wei & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Martines-Filho, Joao, 2006. "Advisory Service Marketing Profiles for Soybeans over 2002-2004," AgMAS Project Research Reports 37485, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Colino, Evelyn V. & Cabrini, Silvina M. & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Joao, Martines-Filho, 2004. "Advisory Service Marketing Profiles for Soybeans in 2001," AgMAS Project Research Reports 37507, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Kliethermes, Brandon & Parcell, Joseph L. & Franken, Jason R.V., 2009. "Commercial Grain Merchandisers: What Do They Need to Know?," 2009 Conference, April 20-21, 2009, St. Louis, Missouri 53049, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Pascucci, Stefano & de-Magistris, Tiziana, 2011. "The effects of changing regional Agricultural Knowledge and Innovation System on Italian farmers’ strategies," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(9), pages 746-754.
- Isengildina, Olga & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2004. "Crop Farmers’ Use of Market Advisory Services," AgMAS Project Research Reports 37489, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.