Understanding heterogeneous preferences of cooperative members
AbstractWe study the heterogeneity in the preference structure of cooperative members. Using conjoint analysis the utility that members attach to intra-organizational and strategic attributes of their cooperative is elicited. Recognizing that members are not homogenous, a concomitant finite-mixture regression model is employed to allow preferences to vary across different member segments. With data from 120 cooperative members, we find that most members demonstrate rather similar preferences for strategic attributes but differ with respect to the intra-organizational attributes of control and management. Members' preference structures are affected by business size and attitudes towards risk. [EconLit Citations: Q130; M000, C400]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sterns, James A. & Schweikhardt, David B. & Peterson, H. Christopher, 1998.
"Using Case Studies As An Approach For Conducting Agribusiness Research,"
11545, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sterns, James A. & Schweikhardt, David B. & Peterson, H. Christopher, 1998. "Using Case Studies As An Approach For Conducting Agribusiness Research," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(03).
- Zusman, Pinhas, 1992. "Constitutional selection of collective-choice rules in a cooperative enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 353-362, May.
- van Dijk, Gert & Mackel, Chris, 1991. "Dutch Agriculture Seeking for Market Leader Strategies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 18(3-4), pages 345-64.
- Michel Wedel & Wayne DeSarbo, 1995. "A mixture likelihood approach for generalized linear models," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 21-55, March.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Gow, Hamish R., 2000.
"Strategic Positioning Under Agricultural Structural Change: A Critique of Long Jump Co-operative Ventures,"
2000 Annual Meeting, December 12-13
31809, NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Gow, Hamish R., 2005. "Strategic Positioning Under Agricultural Structural Change: A Critique of Long Jump Co-operative Ventures," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 8(02).
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Gow, Hamish R., 2001. "Strategic Positioning Under Agricultural Structural Change: A Critique Of Long Jump Co-Operative Ventures," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20645, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pennings, Joost M. E. & Garcia, Philip, 2004. "Hedging behavior in small and medium-sized enterprises: The role of unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 951-978, May.
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2001. "Organizational Commitment in a Mixed Oligopoly: Agricultural Cooperatives and Investor-Owned Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1258-1265.
- Bijman, W.J.J. & Hendrikse, G.W.J., 2003. "Co-operatives in chains: institutional restructuring in the Dutch fruit and vegetables industry," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-089-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Dillon, William R & Frederick, Donald G & Tangpanichdee, Vanchai, 1985. " Decision Issues in Building Perceptual Product Spaces with Multi-attribute Rating Data," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 47-63, June.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- K. Oustapassidis & A. Vlachvei & K. Karantininis, 1998. "Growth of Investor Owned and Cooperative Firms in Greek Dairy Industry," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 399-417, 09.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Raymond M. Leuthold, 2000. "The Role of Farmers' Behavioral Attitudes and Heterogeneity in Futures Contracts Usage," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 908-919.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2001. "Cooperative and Membership Commitment: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1280-1281.
- H. Christopher Peterson & Bruce L. Anderson, 1996. "Cooperative strategy: Theory and practice," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 371-383.
- Hellberg-Bahr, Anneke & Steffen, Nina & Spiller, Achim, 2011. "Unternehmensstrategische Defizite in Genossenschaftsmolkereien: Eine mitgliederbasierte Fallstudie," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114496, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Kalogeras, Nikos & Pennings, Joost M.E., 2013. "Marketing Cooperatives' Equity Sources: An Empirical Study," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150701, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.