Determinants of foreign direct investment in the food industry: The case of Poland
AbstractIn this article, a statistical model is developed to analyze determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the Polish food industry. Data on FDI inflows from three investor home country clusters is related to characteristics of 12 food industry branches. The results indicate that firm size, privatization speed, value-added, and import share are important determinants of food industry FDI. The findings confirm the importance of a swift reduction of state control over agro-industrial enterprises, while pointing to the need for effective competition policies in transition countries to contain potentially emerging market power of foreign multinationals in oligopolistic food industry branches. [Econ-Lit citations: F23 (multinational firms); P33 (international linkages in transition); Q13 (agribusiness)] © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Munisamy Gopinath & Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1999.
"The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment and Trade with an Application to the U.S. Food Processing Industry,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 442-452.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Pick, Daniel H. & Vasavada, Utpal, 1998. "The Economics Of Foreign Direct Investment And Trade With An Application To The U.S. Food Processing Industry," Working Papers, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium 51205, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1996. "An Econometric Analysis of U.S. Foreign Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 200-207, May.
- Klaus E Meyer, 1995. "Direct Foreign Investment in Eastern Europe the Role of Labor Costs," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 69-88, December.
- J. C. Burnham & J. E. Epperson, 1998. "A profile of foreign direct investment by the US fruit and vegetable industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 379-388.
- Singh, Harinder & Kwang W. Jun, 1995. "Some new evidence on determinants of foreign direct investment in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1531, The World Bank.
- Furtan, William Hartley & Sauer, Johannes, 2008.
"Determinants Of Food Industry Performance – Survey Data And Regressions For Denmark,"
82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK, Agricultural Economics Society
36851, Agricultural Economics Society.
- W. H. Furtan & J. Sauer, 2008. "Determinants of Food Industry Performance: Survey Data and Regressions for Denmark," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 555-573, 09.
- Luljeta Hajderllari & Kostas Karantininis & Lartey G. Lawson, 2012. "FDI as an Export-Platform: A Gravity Model for the Danish Agri-Food Industry," IFRO Working Paper 2012/7, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Furtan, William Hartley & Sauer, Johannes, 2008. "Determinants of Food Industry Performance – Empirical Evidence Based on a Survey," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 6422, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stange, Henriette, 2010. "Die Internationalisierung landwirtschaftlicher Unternehmen: Das Beispiel deutscher, dänischer und niederländischer Direktinvestitionen in den ukrainischen Agrarsektor," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 54, number 94743.
- Zalewski, Romuald I. & Skawinska, Eulalia, 2002. "Determinants of Quality Management Efficiency in Polish Food Processing Industry," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain, European Association of Agricultural Economists 24891, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Herrmann, Roland & Möser, Anke & Weber, Sascha A., 2009. "Grocery retailing in Poland: Structural changes and foreign direct investment," Discussion Papers 40, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.