The Bourgeois Virtues
Abstractâ€˜Bourgeois virtueâ€™ is not a contradiction in terms. The age of capitalism has enormously enriched the world. But the enrichment is by no means only material. The virtues enabled capitalist development; but a bourgeois life also encouraged new versions of old virtues; and gave scope for varied lives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE in its journal World Economics Journal.
Volume (Year): 5 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boettke, Peter, 2012.
"A behavioral approach to the political and economic inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 753-756.
- Boettke, Peter, 2011. "A behavioral approach to the political and economic inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations," MPRA Paper 32376, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2011.
"Do Ethics Matter? Tax Compliance and Morality,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 101(4), pages 635-651, July.
- Bart J. Wilson, 2008.
"Contra Private Fairness,"
08-04, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Langlois, Richard N., 2013.
"Business groups and the natural state,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 14-26.
- Gordon Redding & Michael Witt, 2009. "China’s business system and its future trajectory," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 381-399, September.
- Tigran Melkonyan & Mark Pingle, 2008. "Religion and Faith: A Decision Theory Perspective," Working Papers 08-003, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics;University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Andrea Migone, 2011. "Embedded markets: A dialogue between F.A. Hayek and Karl Polanyi," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 355-381, December.
- McCloskey, Deirdre, 2006. "Thrift as a Virtue, Historically Criticized," MPRA Paper 4088, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D. Den Uyl, 2009. "Homo moralis," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 349-385, December.
- Walton Padelford & Darin White, 2009. "The Shaping of a Society’s Economic Ethos: A Longitudinal Study of Individuals’ Morality of Profit-Making Worldview," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 85(1), pages 67-75, March.
- Michael Schwartz, 2009. "Moral Vision: Iris Murdoch and Alasdair MacIntyre," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 315-327, December.
- George Bragues, 2009. "Adam Smith’s Vision of the Ethical Manager," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(4), pages 447-460, December.
- McCloskey, Deirdre, 2009. "Bourgeois dignity and liberty: Why economics can’t explain the modern world," MPRA Paper 16805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Colignatus, Thomas, 2008. "Review of Howard DeLong (1991), "A refutation of Arrow’s theorem", with a reaction, also on its relevance in 2008 for the European Union," MPRA Paper 9661, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Jul 2008.
- Khalil, Elias, 2007. "The Mirror-Neuron Paradox: How Far is Sympathy from Compassion, Indulgence, and Adulation?," MPRA Paper 3509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Coyne, 2009. "The politics and economics of global interventionism," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 181-191, June.
- Hrotko, Timur, 2008. "Wash Corporate Heads! Business Practice can be Changed via the Dispositions of Executives: Re-socialization towards Implicit Eco-sustainability," MPRA Paper 9089, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 May 2008.
- Luuk Knippenberg & Edwin Jong, 2010. "Moralising the Market by Moralising the Firm," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 96(1), pages 17-31, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Jones).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.