Resource Rent in Individual Quota Fisheries
AbstractTraditional fisheries management schemes generate incentives for vessels to maximize catch, resulting in rent dissipation and overcapacity. Individual vessel quota management schemes change the incentives to maximize profit and have the potential to generate resource rent and reduce capacity. An interesting question is whether it is the changed incentives due to individual quota or the capacity reduction due to transferability of individual quota that is most important in generating rent. In this study, a cost function approach is used to model and measure rent generated and potential rent in a fishery managed with individual vessel quotas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guttormsen, Atle G. & Myrland, Oystein & Tveteras, Ragnar, 2011. "Innovations and Structural Change in Seafood Markets and Production: Special Issue Introduction," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(4).
- Guttormsen, Atle G. & Roll, Kristin H., 2011. "Technical Efficiency in a Heterogeneous Fishery: The Case of Norwegian Groundfish Fisheries," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(4).
- Sigbjorn Tveteras & Carlos Paredes & Julio Peña, 2011. "Individual Fishing Quotas in Peru: Stopping the Race for Anchovies," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv263, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Jinji, Naoto, 2012.
"Fisheries Subsidies and Management in Open Economies,"
Marine Resource Economics,
Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 27(1).
- Naoto Jinji, 2011. "Fisheries Subsidies and Management in Open Economies," Discussion papers e-11-004, Graduate School of Economics Project Center, Kyoto University.
- Tveteras, Sigbjorn & Paredes, Carlos E. & Pena-Torres, Julio, 2011. "Individual Vessel Quotas in Peru: Stopping the Race for Anchovies," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(3).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.