Existence Values in Benefit-Cost Analysis and Damage Assessment
AbstractExistence values for obscure resources should not be ruled out a priori because consumers have limited time and resources for information gathering. Furthermore, to the extent that environmental "good things" are highly substitutable, existence values must be cautiously interpreted when evaluating public choice alternatives, but similar concerns do not arise in damage assessments. Issues associated with adding up existence values across resources, high per unit values, and property rights in the existence of resources are also addressed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 68 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Halkos, George, 2012. "Assessing the economic value of protecting artificial lakes," MPRA Paper 39557, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McConnell, K. E., 1997. "Does Altruism Undermine Existence Value?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 22-37, January.
- Halkos, George & Matsiori, Steriani, 2012. "Determinants of willingness to pay for coastal zone quality improvement," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 391-399.
- O'Brien, Phil & Morse, George W., 2006. "Minnesota Extension's Mixed Regional/County Model: Greater Impacts Follows Changes in Structure," Staff Papers 13614, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2003. "Influences of Knowledge of Wildlife Species on Patterns of Willingness to pay for their Conservation," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 48972, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Halkos, George, 2013. "The relationship between people’s attitude and willingness to pay for river conservation," MPRA Paper 50560, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oliver Fromm, 2000. "Ecological Structure and Functions of Biodiversity as Elements of Its Total Economic Value," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 16(3), pages 303-328, July.
- W. Viscusi & Joel Huber & Jason Bell, 2008. "The Economic Value of Water Quality," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 169-187, October.
- Catherine M. Chambers & Paul E. Chambers & John C. Whitehead, .
"Contingent Valuation of Quasi-Public Goods: Validity, Reliability, and Application to Valuing a Historic Site,"
9614, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Catherine M. Chambers & Paul E. Chambers & John C. Whitehead, 1998. "Contingent Valuation of Quasi-Public Goods: Validity, Reliability, and Application To Valuing a Historic Site," Public Finance Review, , vol. 26(2), pages 137-154, March.
- Berrens, Robert P. & Brookshire, David & Ganderton, Philip & McKee, Mike, 1998. "Exploring nonmarket values for the social impacts of environmental policy change," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 117-137, June.
- W. Viscusi & Joel Huber & Jason Bell, 2008. "Estimating discount rates for environmental quality from utility-based choice experiments," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 199-220, December.
- Tisdell, Clement A. & Wilson, Clevo, 2004. "Information and Wildlife Valuation: Experiments and Policy," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 51409, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Ferrara, Ida & Missios, Paul C., 1998. "Non-use values and the management of transboundary renewable resources," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 281-289, June.
- Poe, Gregory L. & Bishop, Richard C., 1992. "Prior Information, General Information, and Specific Information in the Contingent Valuation of Environmental Risks: The Case of Nitrates in Groundwater," Staff Papers 121335, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Richard Carson & Robert Mitchell & Michael Hanemann & Raymond Kopp & Stanley Presser & Paul Ruud, 2003. "Contingent Valuation and Lost Passive Use: Damages from the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(3), pages 257-286, July.
- Halkos, George, 2011. "Economic valuation of coastal zone quality improvements," MPRA Paper 35395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rollins, Kimberly & Lyke, Audrey, 1998. "The Case for Diminishing Marginal Existence Values," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 324-344, November.
- Tisdell, Clement A. & Wilson, Clevo, 2004. "Knowledge and Willingness to Pay for the Conservation of Wildlife Species: Experimental Results Evaluating Australian Tropical Species," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 51293, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.