Evaluation of Swedish Youth Labor Market Programs
AbstractA nonparametric matching approach is applied to estimate the average effects of two active labor market programs for youth in Sweden: youth practice and labor market training. The results of the evaluation indicate either zero or negative effects of both programs on earnings, employment probability, and the probability of entering education in the short run, whereas the long-run effects are mainly zero or slightly positive. The results also suggest that youth practice was more effective—or ‘‘less harmful’’— than labor market training. However, there is considerable heterogeneity in the estimated treatment effects among individuals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 38 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lechner, Michael & Wunsch, Conny, 2011.
"Sensitivity of matching-based program evaluations to the availability of control variables,"
Economics Working Paper Series
1105, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Lechner, Michael & Wunsch, Conny, 2013. "Sensitivity of matching-based program evaluations to the availability of control variables," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 111-121.
- Lechner, Michael & Wunsch, Conny, 2011. "Sensitivity of Matching-Based Program Evaluations to the Availability of Control Variables," IZA Discussion Papers 5553, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lechner, Michael & Wunsch, Conny, 2011. "Sensitivity of matching-based program evaluations to the availability of control variables," CEPR Discussion Papers 8294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Lechner & Conny Wunsch, 2011. "Sensitivity of Matching-Based Program Evaluations to the Availability of Control Variables," CESifo Working Paper Series 3381, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luis Centeno & Mário Centeno & Álvaro A. Novo, 2008.
"Evaluating Job Search Programs for Old and Young Individuals: Heterogeneous Impact on Unemployment Duration,"
w200806, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Centeno, Luis & Centeno, Mário & Novo, Álvaro A., 2009. "Evaluating job-search programs for old and young individuals: Heterogeneous impact on unemployment duration," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 12-25, January.
- Martin Biewen & Bernd Fitzenberger & Aderonke Osikominu & Marie Paul, 2012.
"The effectiveness of public sponsored training revisited: The importance of data and methodological choices,"
ECON - Working Papers
091, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Martin Biewen & Bernd Fitzenberger & Aderonke Osikominu & Marie Paul, 2012. "The Effectiveness of Public Sponsored Training Revisited: The Importance of Data and Methodological Choices," NRN working papers 2012-09, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Juan Jesús González Oliva & Kristina Karlsdotter & Jose Jesús Martín Martín & Mª de Puerto López del Amo González, 2010. "Factores que influyen en la creación de empleo para los asistentes a cursos de formación para el empleo en Andalucía," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 5, in: María Jesús Mancebón-Torrubia & Domingo P. Ximénez-de-Embún & José María Gómez-Sancho & Greg (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 5, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 61, pages 1223-1242 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Wolff, Joachim & Nivorozhkin, Anton, 2012. "Give them a break! Did activation of young welfare recipients overshoot in Germany? (A regression discontinuity analysis)," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62046, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Carling, Kenneth & Larsson, Laura, 2005. "Does early intervention help the unemployed youth?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 301-319, June.
- Jespersen, Svend T. & Munch, Jakob R. & Skipper, Lars, 2008. "Costs and benefits of Danish active labour market programmes," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 859-884, October.
- Wulfgramm, Melike & Fervers, Lukas, 2013. "Unemployment and Subsequent Employment Stability: Does Labour Market Policy Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 7193, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Handa, Sudhanshu & Pineda, Heiling & Esquivel, Yannete & Lopez, Blancadilia & Gurdian, Nidia Veronica & Regalia, Ferdinando, 2009. "Non-formal basic education as a development priority: Evidence from Nicaragua," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 512-522, August.
- McGuinness, Seamus & O'Connell, Philip J. & Kelly, Elish & Walsh, John R., 2011. "Activation in Ireland: An Evaluation of the National Employment Action Plan," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number RS20.
- N�ria Rodríguez-Planas, 2010. "Channels through which Public Employment Services and Small Business Assistance Programmes Work," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(4), pages 458-485, 08.
- Carlos A. Flores & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & Arturo Gonzalez & Todd C. Neumann, 2009. "Estimating the Effects of Lenght of Exposure to Traning Program: The Case of Job Corps," Working Papers 2010-3, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Boeri, Tito & Braga, Michela & De Coen, An & Galasso, Vincenzo & Gerard, Maarten & Kendzia, Michael J. & Mayrhuber, Christine & Pedersen, Jakob Louis & Schmidl, Ricarda & Steiber, , 2013. "Report No. 53: Combining the Entry of Young People in the Labour Market with the Retention of Older Workers," IZA Research Reports 53, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.