Nonparametric bounds on employment and income effects of continuous vocational training in East Germany
AbstractThis paper explores the potential of an approach suggested by Manski to obtain nonparametric bounds of treatment effects in evaluation studies without knowledge of the participation process. The practical concern is the estimation of the effects of continuous vocational training in East Germany. The empirical application is based on a large cross-section that covers about 0.6% of the total population in 1993. The results are rather mixed. The large width of the intervals obtained emphasize the fundamental problem of all evaluation studies without good knowledge of the relationship between potential outcomes and the participation process. However, in some cases, suitable exclusion restrictions are indeed able to bound the treatment effects strictly away from zero.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 2 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Lechner, Michael, 1996. "Nonparametric bounds on employment and income effects of continuous vocational training in East Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 96-31, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C49 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Other
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Card & Daniel Sullivan, 1987.
"Measuring the Effect of Subsidized Training Programs on Movements In andOut of Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
2173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & Sullivan, Daniel G, 1988. "Measuring the Effect of Subsidized Training Programs on Movements in and out of Employment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 497-530, May.
- Imbens, Guido W & Angrist, Joshua D, 1994.
"Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 467-75, March.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido W. Imbens, 1995. "Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James J. Heckman, 1989.
"Choosing Among Alternative Nonexperimental Methods for Estimating the Impact of Social Programs: The Case of Manpower Training,"
NBER Working Papers
2861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, J.J. & Hotz, V.J., 1988. "Choosing Among Alternative Nonexperimental Methods For Estimating The Impact Of Social Programs: The Case Of Manpower Training," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 88-12, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- A. Werwatz, 1996. "How firm-specific is German apprenticeship training?," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,12, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Lisa M. Lynch, 1994. "Training and the Private Sector," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lync94-1, May.
- LaLonde, Robert J, 1986. "Evaluating the Econometric Evaluations of Training Programs with Experimental Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 604-20, September.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Brade, Joachim, 1995. "Weiterbildung, Arbeitszeit und Lohneinkommen," ZEW Discussion Papers 95-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- repec:att:wimass:8909 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gary Burtless, 1995. "The Case for Randomized Field Trials in Economic and Policy Research," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 63-84, Spring.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1996-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manski, Charles F, 1990.
"Nonparametric Bounds on Treatment Effects,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 319-23, May.
- Lechner, Michael, 1995. "Effects of continuous off-the-job training in East Germany after unification," ZEW Discussion Papers 95-27, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- James J. Heckman & Jeffrey A. Smith, 1995. "Assessing the Case for Social Experiments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 85-110, Spring.
- Joachim Inkmann, 2001. "Accounting for Nonresponse Heterogeneity in Panel Data," CoFE Discussion Paper 01-03, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Lee, Sokbae & Wilke, Ralf A., 2009.
"Reform of Unemployment Compensation in Germany: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis Using Register Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 193-205.
- Lee, Sokbae & Wilke, Ralf A., 2005. "Reform of Unemployment Compensation in Germany: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis Using Register Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-29, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Sokbae 'Simon' Lee & Ralf A. Wilke, 2005. "Reform of unemployment compensation in Germany: a nonparametric bounds analysis using register data," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- List, John & Millimet, Daniel, . "Bounding the Impact of Market Experience on Rationality: Evidence from a Field Experiment with Imperfect Compliance," Departmental Working Papers 0505, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Lechner, Michael, 1997. "Mikroökonometrische Evaluationsstudien : Anmerkungen zu Theorie und Praxis," Discussion Papers 555, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Andrew Chesher, 2002. "Local identification in nonseparable models," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Reamonn Lydon & Ian Walker, 2005.
"Welfare to work, wages and wage growth,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(3), pages 335-370, September.
- Hendrik Jürges & Kerstin Schneider, 2005. "Dynamische Lohneffekte beruflicher Weiterbildung," MEA discussion paper series 05092, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Michael White and Genevieve Knight, 2003. "Benchmarking the effectiveness of NDYP: A review of European and US literature on the microeconomic effects of labour market programmes for young people," PSI Research Discussion Series 10, Policy Studies Institute, UK.
- Monique de Haan, 2008.
"The Effect of Parents' Schooling on Child's Schooling: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-061/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Monique de Haan, 2011. "The Effect of Parents’ Schooling on Child’s Schooling: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 859 - 892.
- Dusan Paredes & Marcelo Lufin & Patricio Aroca, 2012. "The estimation of urban premium wage using propensity score analysis: some considerations from the spatial perspective," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 21, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Vazquez-Alvarez, R. & Melenberg, B. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2001. "Nonparametric Bounds in the Presence of Item Nonresponse, Unfolding Brackets and Anchoring," Discussion Paper 2001-67, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.