Treble Damage Awards in Private Lawsuits for Price Fixing
AbstractThe traditional model for assessing the effects of treble damage pena lties on price fixing is reexamined and shown to yield surprising res ults. Unless the probability of detection is extremely sensitive to the price charged, increasing the damage multiple will affect neither market efficiency nor expected distribution, and will raise the mark et price. Copyright 1987 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 95 (1987)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schinkel, Maarten Pieter & Tuinstra, Jan, 2006.
"Imperfect competition law enforcement,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1267-1297, November.
- Gianmaria Martini, 2005.
"Hard Core Cartels and Avoidance of Investigation in the Presence of an Antitrust Authority,"
0505, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Gianmaria Martini, 2005. "Hard Core Cartels and Avoidance of Investigation in the Presence of an Antitrust Authority," Industrial Organization 0502014, EconWPA.
- RÃ¼ggeberg, J. & Schinkel, M.P. & Tuinstra, J., 2005.
"Illinois Walls: How barring indirect purchaser suits facilitates collusion,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
05-10, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Maarten Pieter Schinkel & Jan Tuinstra & Jakob Rüggeberg, 2008. "Illinois Walls: how barring indirect purchaser suits facilitates collusion," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(3), pages 683-698.
- Michael Katz, 2002. "Recent Antitrust Enforcement Actions by the U.S. Department of Justice: A Selective Survey of Economic Issues," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 373-397, December.
- Hunold, Matthias, 2013. "The effects of cartel damage compensations," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-081, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bourjade, Sylvain & Rey, Patrick & seabright, paul, 2009.
"Private antitrust enforcement in the presence of pre-trial bargaining,"
34840, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bourjade, Sylvain & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul, 2009. "Private Antitrust Enforcement in the Presence of Pre-Trial Bargaining," TSE Working Papers 09-041, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Bourjade, Sylvain & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul, 2009. "Private Antitrust Enforcement in the Presence of Pre-Trial Bargaining," IDEI Working Papers 499, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- McAfee, R. Preston & Mialon, Hugo M. & Mialon, Sue H., 2008. "Private v. public antitrust enforcement: A strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 1863-1875, October.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2005049 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gianmaria MARTINI & Cinzia ROVESTI, 2004.
"Antitrust policy and price collusion : public agencies vs delegation,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2004021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Gianmaria Martini & Cinzia Rovesti, 2004. "Antitrust policy and price collusion. Public agencies vs delegation," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 70(2), pages 127-151.
- Schwartz, Warren F. & Wickelgren, Abraham L., 2011. "Optimal antitrust enforcement: Competitor suits, entry, and post-entry competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 967-972.
- Joseph E. Harrington, 2005.
"Optimal Cartel Pricing In The Presence Of An Antitrust Authority,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(1), pages 145-169, 02.
- Joseph E Harrington, 2001. "Optimal Cartel Pricing in the Presence of an Antitrust Authority," Economics Working Paper Archive 460, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Jul 2002.
- Justus Haucap, 2008. "Whinston, M. D.: Lectures on Antitrust Economics (Cairoli Lecture Series)," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(3), pages 305-311, 04.
- Gianmaria Martini, 2002. "Antitrust Policy and Collusion through Credible Covenants," Working Papers 0204, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.