Competition and the Structure of Vertical Relationships in Capital Markets
AbstractWe show that information flows between investment banks and their clients affect relationships and that shocks to these flows affect corporate investment. Firms avoid sharing investment banks in their industry, but only when they engage in product market competition. This suggests that concerns about disclosure of confidential information to strategic rivals determine firms' investment bank choices. Using exogenous shocks to information flows arising from bank mergers, we show that the desire to avoid sharing banks has a substantial effect on investment. These information effects help us understand how the investment banking industry is structured, how banks compete, and how prices are set. (c) 2010 by The University of Chicago. All rights reserved..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 118 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bharant N. Anand & Alexander Galetovic, 2000. "Relationships, Competition, and the Structure of Investment Banking Markets," Documentos de Trabajo 96, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Anand, Bharat N & Galetovic, Alexander, 2000.
"Information, Nonexcludability, and Financial Market Structure,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 357-402, July.
- Bharat N. Anand & Alexander Galetovic, 1996. "Information, Nonexcludability, and Financial Market Structure," Documentos de Trabajo 7, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990.
" Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989. "Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Baccara, Mariagiovanna & Razin, Ronny, 2004.
"From Thought to Practice: Appropriation and Endogenous Market Structure with Imperfect Intellectual Property Rights,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4419, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mariagiovanna Baccara & Ronny Razin, 2003. "From Thought to Practice: Appropriation and Endogenous Market Structure with Imperfect Intellectual Property Rights," Working Papers 03-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- repec:bla:randje:v:38:y:2007:i:1:p:260-289 is not listed on IDEAS
- Denis, David J, 1991. "Shelf Registration and the Market for Seasoned Equity Offerings," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(2), pages 189-212, April.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Harrington & John M. Vernon, 2005. "Economics of Regulation and Antitrust, 4th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 4, volume 1, number 026222075x, December.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Chiesa Gabriella, 1995. "Proprietary Information, Financial Intermediation, and Research Incentives," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 328-357, October.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & William J. Wilhelm, 2005. "Does Prospect Theory Explain IPO Market Behavior?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1759-1790, 08.
- Mariagiovanna Baccara, 2007. "Outsourcing, information leakage, and consulting firms," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(1), pages 269-289, 03.
- J·n Z·bojnÌk, 2002. "A Theory of Trade Secrets in Firms," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(3), pages 831-855, August.
- Bharath, Sreedhar & Dahiya, Sandeep & Saunders, Anthony & Srinivasan, Anand, 2007. "So what do I get? The bank's view of lending relationships," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 368-419, August.
- Gande, Amar, et al, 1997. "Bank Underwriting of Debt Securities: Modern Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1175-1202.
- Mariagiovanna Baccara, 2008. "Outsourcing, Information Leakage and Consulting Firms," Working Papers 08-7, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Foster, F Douglas, 1989. " Syndicate Size, Spreads, and Market Power during the Introduction of Shelf Registration," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 195-204, March.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Felicia Marston & William J. Wilhelm, 2009. "Scaling the Hierarchy: How and Why Investment Banks Compete for Syndicate Co-management Appointments," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(10), pages 3977-4007, October.
- Carlo Cambini & Laura Rondi, 2011. "Independence, Investment and Political Interference: Evidence from the European Union," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/42, European University Institute.
- Carlos Bellón, 2014. "Bank Competition, Borrower Competition and Interest Rates," Business Economics Working Papers id-14-03, Universidad Carlos III, Instituto sobre Desarrollo Empresarial "Carmen Vidal Ballester".
- Grullon, Gustavo & Underwood, Shane & Weston, James P., 2014. "Comovement and investment banking networks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 73-89.
- Camelia M. Kuhnen & Alexandra Niessen, 2012.
"Public Opinion and Executive Compensation,"
INFORMS, vol. 58(7), pages 1249-1272, July.
- Anna Gumpert & James R. Hines, Jr. & Monika Schnitzer, 2011.
"The Use of Tax Havens in Exemption Regimes,"
NBER Working Papers
17644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gumpert, Anna & Hines Jr, James R & Schnitzer, Monika, 2012. "The use of tax havens in exemption regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 8943, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gumpert, Anna & Hines, James R. & Schnitzer, Monika, 2011. "The use of tax havens in exemption regimes," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,30, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Gumpert, Anna & Hines Jr., James R. & Schnitzer, Monika, 2012. "The use of tax havens in exemption regimes," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 381, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Oesch, David & Schuette, Dustin & Walter, Ingo, . "Real Effects of Investment Banking Relationships: Evidence from the Financial Crisis," Working Papers on Finance 1405, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Brickley, James A. & Linck, James S. & Smith, Clifford W., 2012. "Vertical integration to avoid contracting with potential competitors: Evidence from bankers' banks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 113-130.
- Joseph J. Gerakos & Chad Syverson, 2013. "Competition in the Audit Market: Policy Implications," NBER Working Papers 19251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Carlo Cambini & Laura Rondi, 2011. "Regulatory Independence, Ownership and Firm Value: The Role of Political Institutions," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/43, European University Institute.
- Competition and the Structure of Vertical Relationships in Capital Markets (JPE 2010) in ReplicationWiki
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.