Wanna Dance? How Firms and Underwriters Choose Each Other
AbstractWe develop and test a theory explaining the equilibrium matching of issuers and underwriters. We assume that issuers and underwriters associate by mutual choice, and that underwriter ability and issuer quality are complementary. Our model implies that matching is positive assortative, and that matches are based on firms' and underwriters' relative characteristics at the time of issuance. The model predicts that the market share of top underwriters and their average issue quality varies inversely with issuance volume. Various cross-sectional patterns in underwriting spreads are consistent with equilibrium matching. We find strong empirical confirmation of our theory. Copyright 2005 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 60 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kutsuna, Kenji & Smith, Janet Kiholm & Smith, Richard L., 2007.
"Banking relationships and access to equity capital markets: Evidence from Japan's main bank system,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 335-360, February.
- Kenji Ketsuna & Janet Kiholm Smith & Richard L. Smith, 2003. "Banking Relationships and Access to Equity Capital Markets: Evidence from Japan’s Main Bank System," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2003-09, Claremont Colleges.
- Loureiro, Gilberto, 2010. "The reputation of underwriters: A test of the bonding hypothesis," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 516-532, September.
- Gonzalez, Laura & James, Christopher, 2007. "Banks and bubbles: How good are bankers at spotting winners?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 40-70, October.
- Travis L. Jones & Mushfiq us Swaleheen, 2010. "Endogenous examination of underwriter reputation and IPO returns," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 284-293, April.
- Bengtsson, Ola & Dai, Na, 2013. "Financial Contracts in PIPE Offerings: The Role of Expert Placement Agents," Knut Wicksell Working Paper Series 2013/7, Knut Wicksell Centre for Financial Studies, Lund University.
- Wang, Weishen & Whyte, Ann Marie, 2010. "Managerial rights, use of investment banks, and the wealth effects for acquiring firms' shareholders," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 44-54, January.
- Andre Guettler & Ulrich Hommel & Julia Reichert, 2011. "The influence of sponsor, servicer, and underwriter characteristics on RMBS performance," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 281-311, September.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Jose A. Lopez, 2009.
"Foreign entry into underwriting services: evidence from Japan's "Big Bang" deregulation,"
Working Paper Series
2009-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jose A. Lopez & Mark M. Spiegel, 2014. "Foreign Entry into Underwriting Services: Evidence from Japan's “Big Bang” Deregulation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(2-3), pages 445-468, 03.
- Lee, Gemma & Masulis, Ronald W., 2011. "Do more reputable financial institutions reduce earnings management by IPO issuers?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 982-1000, September.
- repec:ste:nystbu:06-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- Liu Jianghui, 2011. "Why Chinese listed companies frequently switch lead underwriters in seasoned equity offerings: A perspective of listed companies' loyalty," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(3), pages 280-312, June.
- Alvarez, Susana & Arrondo, Rubén, 2010. "The influence of the underwriting syndicate on the valuation of Spanish initial public offerings," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 223-238.
- Jiawei Chen, 2006. "Two-Sided Matching and Spread Determinants in the Loan Market," Working Papers 060702, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Cumming, Douglas & Dai, Na, 2010. "Local bias in venture capital investments," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 362-380, June.
- Bradley, Daniel & Choi, Hyung-Suk & Clarke, Jonathan, 2011. "Working for the enemy? The impact of investment banker job changes on deal flow," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 585-596, September.
- McKenzie, C.R. & Takaoka, Sumiko, 2013. "The matching of lead underwriters and issuing firms in the Japanese corporate bond market," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 86-97.
- Duarte-Silva, Tiago, 2010. "The market for certification by external parties: Evidence from underwriting and banking relationships," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 568-582, December.
- Li, Fei & Ueda, Masako, 2009. "Why do reputable agents work for safer firms?," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 2-12, March.
- Carter, Richard B. & Dark, Frederick H. & Sapp, Travis R.A., 2010. "Underwriter reputation and IPO issuer alignment 1981-2005," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 443-455, November.
- Marquez, Robert & Nanda, Vikram & Yavuz, M. Deniz, 2010. "Private Equity Fund Returns: Do Managers Actually Leave Money on the Table?," Working Papers 10-24, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Li, Fei & Ueda, Masako, 2005. "CEO-Firm Match and Principal-Agent Problem," CEPR Discussion Papers 5119, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Su, Chen & Brookfield, David, 2013. "An evaluation of the impact of stock market reforms on IPO under-pricing in China: The certification role of underwriters," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 20-33.
- Walter Boudry & Jarl Kallberg & Crocker Liu, 2011. "Analyst Behavior and Underwriter Choice," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 5-38, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.