Intercountry Differences in the Relationship between Relative Price Variability and Average Prices
AbstractThis paper provides new evidence on the relationship between relative price variability and inflation. The model uses a consistently defined data set for nine European countries. It benefits from the inclusion and testing of the effects of macroeconomic variables and the incorporation into the measures of inflation and dispersion adjustments for timeliness, appropriate formulas, and proximity. The general findings of an effect on relative price variability by the macroeconomic environment and negative coefficients on unexpected inflation are supported by their occurrence in models estimated by seemingly unrelated regression and a robust systems estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 109 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hercowitz, Zvi, 1981.
"Money and the Dispersion of Relative Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(2), pages 328-56, April.
- Barro, Robert J., 1976. "Rational expectations and the role of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-47, February.
- Juliane Scharff & Sven Schreiber, 2012.
"Evidence on the effects of inflation on price dispersion under indexation,"
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 291-311, August.
- Sven Schreiber & Juliane Scharff, 2008. "Evidence on the effects of inflation on price dispersion under indexation," IMK Working Paper 12-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Mizen, Paul & Russell, Bill, 2007. "Inflation, relative price variability and the markup: Evidence from the United States and the United Kingdom," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 82-100, January.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabús., 2008. "The Determinants of Relative Price Variability: Further Evidence from Argentina," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(132), pages 235-255.
- Chi-Young Choi, 2010. "Reconsidering the Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(5), pages 769-798, 08.
- Hiranya K. Nath & Natalie Hegwood, 2012.
"Structural Breaks and Relative Price Convergence among U.S. Cities,"
1204, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Hegwood, Natalie D. & Nath, Hiranya K., 2013. "Structural breaks and relative price convergence among US cities," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 150-160.
- Paul A. Armknecht & Mick Silver, 2012. "Post-Laspeyres," IMF Working Papers 12/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Scharff, Juliane & Nautz, Dieter, 2006.
"Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Dieter Nautz & Juliane Scharff, 2012. "Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 449-460, February.
- Muhammad Akmal, 2012. "The Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability in Pakistan," Working Papers id:4734, eSocialSciences.
- Daniel Berkowitz & David N. DeJong, 2002. "Integration: An Empirical Assessment of Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 488, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mª Ángeles Caraballo Pou & Carlos Dabús & Diego Caramuta, 2006. "A Non-linear "Inflation-Relative Prices Variability" Relationship: Evidence from Latin America," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2006/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Sascha S. Becker, 2011. "What Drives the Relationship Between Inflation and Price Dispersion? Market Power vs. Price Rigidity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-019, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Madsen, J. B. & Milas, C., 2003.
"The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes,"
03/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Madsen, Jakob B. & Milas, Costas, 2005. "The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 260-269, December.
- Jakob B Madsen & Costas Milas, 2005. "The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes," Keele Economics Research Papers KERP 2005/09, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Jakob Madsen & Costas Milas, 2005. "The Price-Dividend Relationship In Inflationary And Deflationary Regimes," Econometrics 0506002, EconWPA.
- Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2008. "Inflation Thresholds and Relative Price Variability: Evidence from U.S. Cities," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(3), pages 61-76, September.
- Bill Russell, 2002. "The Long Run Relationships among Price Variability, Inflation and the Markup," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 127, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Robert J Hill, 2004. "Inflation Measurement for Central Bankers," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Christopher Kent & Simon Guttmann (ed.), The Future of Inflation Targeting Reserve Bank of Australia.
- André Binette & Sylvain Martel, 2005. "Inflation and Relative Price Dispersion in Canada: An Empirical Assessment," Working Papers 05-28, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.