Intercountry Differences in the Relationship between Relative Price Variability and Average Prices
AbstractThis paper provides new evidence on the relationship between relative price variability and inflation. The model uses a consistently defined data set for nine European countries. It benefits from the inclusion and testing of the effects of macroeconomic variables and the incorporation into the measures of inflation and dispersion adjustments for timeliness, appropriate formulas, and proximity. The general findings of an effect on relative price variability by the macroeconomic environment and negative coefficients on unexpected inflation are supported by their occurrence in models estimated by seemingly unrelated regression and a robust systems estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 109 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jakob B Madsen & Costas Milas, 2005.
"The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes,"
Keele Economics Research Papers
KERP 2005/09, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Madsen, Jakob B. & Milas, Costas, 2005. "The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 260-269, December.
- Jakob Madsen & Costas Milas, 2005. "The Price-Dividend Relationship In Inflationary And Deflationary Regimes," Econometrics 0506002, EconWPA.
- Madsen, J. B. & Milas, C., 2003. "The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes," Working Papers 03/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Dieter Nautz & Juliane Scharff, 2012.
"Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 449-460, February.
- Scharff, Juliane & Nautz, Dieter, 2006. "Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- André Binette & Sylvain Martel, 2005. "Inflation and Relative Price Dispersion in Canada: An Empirical Assessment," Working Papers 05-28, Bank of Canada.
- Paul A. Armknecht & Mick Silver, 2012. "Post-Laspeyres: The Case for a New Formula for Compiling Consumer Price Indexes," IMF Working Papers 12/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Bill Russell, 2002. "The Long Run Relationships among Price Variability, Inflation and the Markup," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 127, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Daniel Berkowitz & David N. DeJong, 2002. "Integration: An Empirical Assessment of Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 488, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Muhammad Akmal, 2012. "The Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability in Pakistan," Working Papers id:4734, eSocialSciences.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabús., 2008. "The Determinants of Relative Price Variability: Further Evidence from Argentina," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(132), pages 235-255.
- Sascha S. Becker, 2011. "What Drives the Relationship Between Inflation and Price Dispersion? Market Power vs. Price Rigidity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-019, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Chi-Young Choi, 2010. "Reconsidering the Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(5), pages 769-798, 08.
- Mª Ángeles Caraballo Pou & Carlos Dabús & Diego Caramuta, 2006. "A Non-linear "Inflation-Relative Prices Variability" Relationship: Evidence from Latin America," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2006/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Mizen, Paul & Russell, Bill, 2007. "Inflation, relative price variability and the markup: Evidence from the United States and the United Kingdom," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 82-100, January.
- Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2008. "Inflation Thresholds and Relative Price Variability: Evidence from U.S. Cities," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(3), pages 61-76, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.