Leasing and Secondary Markets: Theory and Evidence from Commercial Aircraft
AbstractI develop a model of costly capital reallocation to understand how leasing reduces trading frictions. Leased assets trade more frequently and produce more output than owned assets because (1) high-volatility firms are more likely to lease than low-volatility firms and (2) firms shed leased asssets faster than owned assets amid productivity shocks because of lower transaction costs. Commercial aircraft data show that leased aircraft have holding durations 38 percent shorter and fly 6.5 percent more hours than owned aircraft. These differences arise primarily because when profitability declines, carriers keep owned aircraft and return leased aircraft, which lessors redeploy to more productive operators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 119 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Pages: 325 - 377
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
Other versions of this item:
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "Leasing and Secondary Markets: Theory and Evidence from Commercial Aircraft," MPRA Paper 28821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gal, Peter & Pinter, Gabor, 2013. "Capital over the business cycle: renting versus ownership," Bank of England working papers 478, Bank of England.
- Alessandro Gavazza, 2011.
"The Role of Trading Frictions in Real Asset Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(4), pages 1106-43, June.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "The role of trading frictions in real asset markets," MPRA Paper 25781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gavazza, Alessandro & Lizzeri, Alessandro & Rokestkiy, Nikita, 2012.
"A quantitative analysis of the used-car market,"
38414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adriano Rampini & Andrea Eisfeldt, 2007.
"Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity,"
07-19, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wojahn, Oliver W., 2012. "Why does the airline industry over-invest?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 1-8.
- Anders, Christoph, 2010. "Auswirkungen des Leasings auf Transaktionskosten," Leasing - Wissenschaft & Praxis, Universität zu Köln, Forschungsinstitut für Leasing, vol. 8(2), pages 71-88.
- Chemmanur, Thomas & Jiao, Yawen & Yan, An, 2010. "A theory of contractual provisions in leasing," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 116-142, January.
- Borghan Nezami Narajabad & Cyril Monnet, 2012. "Why Rent When You Can Buy? A Theory of Repurchase Agreements," 2012 Meeting Papers 647, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gordon M. Phillips & Giorgo Sertsios, 2011. "How Do Firm Financial Conditions Affect Product Quality and Pricing?," NBER Working Papers 17233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "Asset liquidity and financial contracts: Evidence from aircraft leases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 62-84, January.
- Myrto Kalouptsidi, 2011. "Time to Build and Shipping Prices," 2011 Meeting Papers 661, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.