The Role of Corporate Governance in Initial Public Offerings: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts
AbstractThis study analyzes the impact of corporate governance structures at the initial public offering (IPO) date. We test hypotheses that firms with more shareholder-oriented governance structures receive higher valuations at the IPO stage and have better long-term performance. Our sample is a set of 107 IPOs of real estate investment trusts (REITs) between 1991 and 1998. Using a single industry and REITs in particular reduces potentially confounding effects due to differences in risk, transparency, and growth potential. We believe this-combined with our use of IPOs-mitigates the endogeneity problem present in studies of the impact of governance on seasoned firms' valuation. Our analysis indicates that firms with stronger governance structures have higher IPO valuations and better long-term operating performance than their peers. (c) 2008 by The University of Chicago. All rights reserved..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal The Journal of Law and Economics.
Volume (Year): 51 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wen-Hsiu Chou & William Hardin & Matthew Hill & G. Kelly, 2013. "Dividends, Values and Agency Costs in REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 91-114, January.
- Stephen Dempsey & David Harrison & Kimberly Luchtenberg & Michael Seiler, 2012. "Financial Opacity and Firm Performance: The Readability of REIT Annual Reports," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 450-470, August.
- Chinmoy Ghosh & Erasmo Giambona & John Harding & C. Sirmans, 2011. "How Entrenchment, Incentives and Governance Influence REIT Capital Structure," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 39-72, July.
- Paul Anglin & Robert Edelstein & Yanmin Gao & Desmond Tsang, 2013. "What is the Relationship Between REIT Governance and Earnings Management?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 538-563, October.
- Becher, David A. & Frye, Melissa B., 2011. "Does regulation substitute or complement governance?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 736-751, March.
- Cajias, Marcelo & Fuerst, Franz & McAllister, Pat & Nanda, Anupam, 2011.
"Is ESG Commitment Linked to Investment Performance in the Real Estate Sector?,"
eres2011_118, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Marcelo Cajias & Franz Fuerst & Pat McAllister & Anupam Nanda, 2011. "Is ESG Commitment Linked to Investment Performance in the Real Estate Sector?," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2011-03, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Paul Anglin & Robert Edelstein & Yanmin Gao & Desmond Tsang, 2011. "How Does Corporate Governance Affect the Quality of Investor Information? The Curious Case of REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 33(1), pages 1-24.
- Robert Campbell & Chinmoy Ghosh & Milena Petrova & C. Sirmans, 2011. "Corporate Governance and Performance in the Market for Corporate Control: The Case of REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 451-480, May.
- Zhilan Feng & Chinmoy Ghosh & Fan He & C. Sirmans, 2010. "Institutional Monitoring and REIT CEO Compensation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 446-479, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.