Dividend Policies and Dividend Announcement Effects for Real Estate Investment Trusts
AbstractPrevious research on real estate investment trusts (REITs) assumes that their dividend policies are determined solely by tax regulations. We observe, however, that REITs often pay out more dividends than are required by tax rules. This paper examines the dividend policies of REITs by drawing inferences from agency-cost theory and tests for the determinants of REIT dividend payout ratios. The study also considers whether the stock market responds differently to the dividend announcement effects of equity and mortgage REITs based on asymmetric information. Our results support agency-cost explanations for dividend policy and suggest a differential announcement effect. Copyright American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mine Ertugrul & Özcan Sezer & C. Sirmans, 2008. "Financial Leverage, CEO Compensation,and Corporate Hedging: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 53-80, January.
- Su Han Chan & Wai Kin Leung & Ko Wang, 1998. "Institutional Investment in REITs: Evidence and Implications," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 357-374.
- Matthew Hill & G. Kelly & William Hardin, 2012. "Market Value of REIT Liquidity," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 383-401, August.
- Wen-Hsiu Chou & William Hardin & Matthew Hill & G. Kelly, 2013. "Dividends, Values and Agency Costs in REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 91-114, January.
- William Hardin & Kartono Liano & Gow-Cheng Huang, 2005. "REIT Stock Splits and Market Efficiency," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 297-315, April.
- Jonathan Wiley & Leonard Zumpano, 2009. "Institutional Investment and the Turn-of-the-Month Effect: Evidence from REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 180-201, August.
- Zhilan Feng & Chinmoy Ghosh & C. Sirmans, 2007. "CEO Involvement in Director Selection: Implications for REIT Dividend Policy," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 385-410, November.
- Frank Gyamfi-Yeboah & Alan Ziobrowski & Lisa Lambert, 2012. "Reits’ Price Reaction to Unexpected FFO Announcements," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 622-644, October.
- William Hardin & Michael Highfield & Matthew Hill & G. Kelly, 2009. "The Determinants of REIT Cash Holdings," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 39-57, July.
- James C. Brau & Andrew Holmes, 2006. "Why Do REITs Repurchase Stock? Extricating the Effect of Managerial Signaling in Open Market Share Repurchase Announcements," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(1), pages 1-24.
- Chinmoy Ghosh & Le Sun, 2014. "Agency Cost, Dividend Policy and Growth: The Special Case of REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(4), pages 660-708, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.