Insider Trading as a Signal of Private Information
AbstractThere is substantial evidence that insider trading is present around corporate announcements and that this insider trading is motivated by private information. Using real estate investment trusts that choose to reappraise themselves as our sample, we establish that the appraisals contain information, but find no market response to the public announcement of this information in these appraisals. We consider two possible explanations for this inconsistency: the first that the appraisal information is not highlighted in earnings reports and hence remains unobserved; and the second that insiders trade on the appraisal information in the time that elapses between the appraisal and its public announcement. We find strong support for the second hypothesis, with insiders buying (selling) after they receive favorable (unfavorable) appraisal news, especially for negative appraisals. We also find that positive (negative) appraisals and net insider buying (selling) elicit significant positive (negative) abnormal returns during the appraisal period. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 6 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Warren Bailey & Yuan Gao & Connie X. Mao, 2004. "Business, Government, and the Information Environment: Stock Trading and Earnings Shocks in China, Indonesia, and Singapore," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(1), pages 165-195, May.
- H. Swint Friday & G. Stacy Sirmans & C. Mitchell Conover, 1999. "Ownership Structure and the Value of the Firm: The Case of REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(1), pages 71-90.
- YiLin Wu & Lee Cheng-Few, 2008. "Specification analysis of corporate equity financing decision: a conditional residual approach," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 395-423, November.
- Richard Chung & Scott Fung & James Shilling & Tammie Simmons-Mosley, 2011. "What Determines Stock Price Synchronicity in REITs?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 73-98, July.
- Huddart, Steven & Ke, Bin & Shi, Charles, 2007.
"Jeopardy, non-public information, and insider trading around SEC 10-K and 10-Q filings,"
Journal of Accounting and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 3-36, March.
- Steven Huddart & Bin Ke & Charles Shi, 2005. "Jeopardy, non-public information, and insider trading around SEC 10-K and 10-Q filings," Law and Economics 0502001, EconWPA, revised 03 Jul 2005.
- Denis, David J. & Xu, Jin, 2013. "Insider trading restrictions and top executive compensation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 91-112.
- John B. Corgel, 1997. "Property-by-Property Valuation of Publicly Traded Real Estate Firms," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(1), pages 77-90.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Van Oppens, Hervé, 2008. "Legal insider trading and market efficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1379-1392, July.
- Chinmoy Ghosh & Erasmo Giambona & John Harding & C. Sirmans, 2011. "How Entrenchment, Incentives and Governance Influence REIT Capital Structure," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 39-72, July.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2009.
"To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements,"
Bristol Economics Discussion Papers
09/613, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2010. "To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3-4), pages 369-407.
- David M. Geltner & Richard A. Graff & Michael S. Young, 1994. "Random Disaggregate Appraisal Error in Commercial Property: Evidence from the Russell-NCREIF Database," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(4), pages 403-420.
- James Payne & George Waters, 2007. "Have Equity REITs Experienced Periodically Collapsing Bubbles?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 207-224, February.
- Medrano, Luis Angel & Vives, Xavier, 2002.
"Regulating Insider Trading when Investment Matters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3292, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luis Angel Medrano & Xavier Vives, 2004. "Regulating Insider Trading When Investment Matters," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 199-277.
- Cheuk, Man-Yin & Fan, Dennis K. & So, Raymond W., 2006. "Insider trading in Hong Kong: Some stylized facts," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 73-90, January.
- Yur-Austin, Jasmine, 1998. "Can insiders bail themselves out before private renegotiation?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 197-211.
- Deqing Diane Li & Kenneth Yung, 2004. "Short Interests in Real Estate Investment Trusts," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 7(1), pages 56-70.
- Ke, Bin & Huddart, Steven & Petroni, Kathy, 2003. "What insiders know about future earnings and how they use it: Evidence from insider trades," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 315-346, August.
- Kevin Chiang, 2009. "Discovering REIT Price Discovery: A New Data Setting," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 74-91, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.