Snobbery, Racism, or Mutual Distaste: What Promotes and Hinders Cooperation in Local Public-Good Provision?
AbstractA political jurisdiction may decide to cooperate in public schooling provision with its neighbors or remain independent. The determinants of the consolidation decision are compared for the richer and the poorer and for the whiter and the less white jurisdiction in each potential consolidation pair. Property values and scale economies matter most. However, poorer jurisdictions prefer merging with richer ones that are less white than themselves. Whiter jurisdictions prefer to consolidate with less white ones of similar income. Less white jurisdictions are more open to consolidation with whiter ones if their incomes differ in either direction. Traditional club-theory predictions are not supported. © 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nora Gordon & Brian Knight, 2006. "The Causes of Political Integration: An Application to School Districts," NBER Working Papers 12047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kelly Tiller & Paul Jakus, 2004.
"Explaining Cooperation in Municipal Solid Waste Management,"
Working Papers, Utah State University, Department of Economics
2004-07, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Tiller, Kelly & Jakus, Paul M., 2004. "Explaining Cooperation In Municipal Solid Waste Management," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 20065, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Reingewertz, Yaniv, 2012. "Do municipal amalgamations work? Evidence from municipalities in Israel," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 240-251.
- Kumar Das, Pranab & Kar, Saibal & Kayal, Madhumanti, 2011. "Religious Minorities and Provision of Public Goods: Evidence from Rural West Bengal," IZA Discussion Papers 6154, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tuukka Saarimaa & Janne Tukiainen, 2012. "Politics in Coalition Formation of Local Governments," SERC Discussion Papers, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE 0102, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Tuukka Saarimaa & Janne Tukiainen, 2013. "Local representation and strategic voting: evidence from electoral boundary reforms," Working Papers, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB) 2013/32, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Heather Antecol & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, 2008.
"The Effect of Community-Level Socio-Economic Conditions on Threatening Racial Encounters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University
589, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Antecol, Heather & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A., 2010. "The effect of community-level socio-economic conditions on threatening racial encounters," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 517-529, November.
- Antecol, Heather & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A., 2008. "The Effect of Community-Level Socio-Economic Conditions on Threatening Racial Encounters," IZA Discussion Papers 3828, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bowman Cutter, W. & DeShazo, J.R., 2007. "The environmental consequences of decentralizing the decision to decentralize," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 32-53, January.
- Gordon, Nora & Knight, Brian, 2009. "A spatial merger estimator with an application to school district consolidation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 93(5-6), pages 752-765, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.