Economies of Size and Scope in Rural Low-Volume Roads
AbstractEvidence on cost savings from reorganizing township low-volume, rural-road systems into larger units is presented in the study of technical efficiencies in producing local government services. Data are from a sample of midwestern townships. Heterogeneity of surface types is accounted for by specifying a multiple output translog cost function. Examination of economies of size suggest that cost savings could be realized by reorganizing townships into larger units. The presence of economies of scope suggest that jurisdictions should not specialize in maintenance responsibilities due to the joint use of inputs. Copyright 1988 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 70 (1988)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fleming, Pauline & Fleming, Euan M. & Griffith, Garry R. & Johnston, David, 2004. "Estimation of a Multi-Input Multi-Output Model of Lot-Fed Beef Cattle in Australia," Working Papers 12944, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Fleming, Euan M. & Villano, Renato A. & Fleming, Pauline, 2008. "Evidence of Scope Economies in the Australian Wheat-Sheep Zone," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36849, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Villani, Salvatore, 2010. "Per un giusto equilibrio tra efficacia ed efficienza nell’attuazione della legge delega sul federalismo fiscale: verso la definizione dei LEP e dei costi standard delle Regioni," MPRA Paper 29513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mekhora, Thamrong & Fleming, Euan M., 2004. "An Analysis of Scope Economies and Specialisation Efficiencies Among Thai Shrimp and Rice Smallholders," Working Papers 12914, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Villano, Renato A. & Fleming, Pauline & Fleming, Euan M., 2008. "Evidence of Scope Economies in Australian Agriculture," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 5996, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Deller, Steven C. & Walzer, Norman, 1995. "Structural Shifts In The Treatment Of Intergovernmental Aid: The Case Of Rural Roads," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Krause, Mark A., 1996. "Cost Savings From Consolidating North Dakota'S Counties," Agricultural Economics Reports 23321, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Coelli, Tim & Fleming, Euan, 2004.
"Diversification economies and specialisation efficiencies in a mixed food and coffee smallholder farming system in Papua New Guinea,"
Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 229-239, December.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Fleming, Euan M., 2003. "Diversification Economies And Specialisation Efficiencies In A Mixed Food And Coffee Smallholder Farming System In Papua New Guinea," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25841, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Scorsone, Eric, 2007. "School District and Municipal Reorganization: Research Findings & Policy Proposals," Staff Papers 6543, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Villani, Salvatore, 2010.
"Elementi ai fini della definizione della nozione di costo standard: una rassegna della letteratura e delle principali esperienze estere
[Basic elements defining the standard cost concept. A survey ," MPRA Paper 29683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Renner, Swetlana & Glauben, Thomas & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2012. "Measurement And Decomposition Of Flexibility Of Multi-Output Firms," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 124865, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.