Are State Non-Need, Merit-Based Scholarship Programs Impacting College Enrollment?
AbstractThis study examines whether non-need, merit-based scholarship programs are effective in encouraging students to enroll in postsecondary education and, more specifically, attend an in-state college. National residence and migration data from 1992 to 2004 (alternating even years) were used within a fixed effect regression framework. This approach, combined with interaction terms that capture different program implementation periods, is an attempt to enhance the current understanding of scholarship programs on college enrollment. The results suggest that these programs have a significant impact on college enrollment after controlling for state-level factors, but the effect depends on when the program was implemented, who is eligible to receive aid, and how much aid these students are awarded. © 2009 American Education Finance Association
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Education Finance and Policy.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sjoquist, David L. & Winters, John V., 2013. "The effects of HOPE on post-college retention in the Georgia workforce," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 479-490.
- Winters, John V., 2012. "Cohort crowding and nonresident college enrollment," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 30-40.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.