Social capital in building regional innovative capability
AbstractTura T. and Harmaakorpi V. (2005) Social capital in building regional innovative capability, Regional Studies 39 , 1111-1125. The paper focuses on the relation of social capital and regional innovative capability. It examines the social nature of the innovative processes placing demands on the regional innovation environment and underlining the importance of social capital. The paper analyses the concept of social capital and problems connected to it. It introduces a conception of social capital defining it functionally as a field-specific social resource of an actor. This conception is applied to analyse social capital as a central element in enhancing regional innovative capability. The relation between social capital and innovation capability is not, however, without problems. This still controversial relation is discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Stimson & John Western & Scott Baum & Yolanda Van Gellecum, 2003. "Measuring Community Strength and Social Capital," ERSA conference papers ersa03p521, European Regional Science Association.
- Silviya Draganinska & Rudiger Wink, 2006. "Formal Knowledge Examination Institutions: Chance Or Threat to European Medium Tech-Nology SMEs? A Cognitive and Institutional Perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa06p404, European Regional Science Association.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Luisa Gagliardi & Marco Percoco, 2011. "The Bright Side of Social Capital: How 'Bridging' Makes Italian Provinces More Innovative," SERC Discussion Papers 0096, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Luisa Gagliardi & Marco Percoco, 2013.
"Social capital and the innovative performance of Italian provinces,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
46414, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Luisa Gagliardi & Marco Percoco, 2013. "Social capital and the innovative performance of Italian provinces," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 45(4), pages 908-929, April.
- Nadezhda Lebedeva & Ekaterina Osipova & Liubov Cherkasova, 2013. "Values and Social Capital as Predictors of Attitudes towards Innovation," HSE Working papers WP BRP 10/SOC/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Gurrieri, Antonia Rosa, 2008. "Knowledge network dissemination in a family-firm sector," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2380-2389, December.
- Maria JoÃ£o SimÃµes & Domingos Santos, 2012. "The Digital Cities and Regions Program in Portugal: a Critical Evaluation," ERSA conference papers ersa12p132, European Regional Science Association.
- Anne Paalanen & Vesa Harmaakorpi & Timo Pihkala, 2006. "Absorptive Capacity in Practice-Based Innovation Activities: the Case of Lahti Region, Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa06p347, European Regional Science Association.
- Satu Pekkarinen & Vesa Harmaakorpi, 2006. "Building regional innovation networks: The definition of an age business core process in a regional innovation system," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 401-413.
- Edward Lorenz, 2012. "Social Capital and Enterprise Innovative Performance: A Multi-Level Analysis of Developing Nations," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-11, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.