The Bright Side of Social Capital: How 'Bridging' Makes Italian Provinces More Innovative
AbstractSocial capital has remained relatively underexplored in innovation literature. Existing studies have failed to reach a consensus on its impact on local innovative performance: some empirical analyses emphasize a positive effect, others speak about a 'dark side' of social capital. This paper aims to fill this gap by shedding new light on the differential role of 'bonding' and 'bridging' social capital. The quantitative analysis of the innovative performance of the Italian provinces shows that social capital is an important predictor of innovative performance after controlling for 'traditional' knowledge inputs (R&D investments and human capital endowment) and other characteristics of the local economy. However, only 'bridging' social capital - based on weak ties - can be identified as the key driver of the process of innovation while 'bonding' social capital is shown to be negative for innovation. Instrumental variable analysis makes it possible to identify clear causal links between bridging (positive) and bonding (negative) social capital and innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE in its series SERC Discussion Papers with number 0096.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.spatialeconomics.ac.uk/SERC/publications/default.asp
Innovation; social capital; knowledge transfer; regional development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2011-11-28 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2011-11-28 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2011-11-28 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2011-11-28 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-SOC-2011-11-28 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2011-11-28 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006.
"R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p371, European Regional Science Association.
- A. Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, spillovers, innovatoin systems and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0067, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 5, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2007.
"The territorial dynamics of innovation: a Europe-United States comparative analysis,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
23328, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodriguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2007. "The territorial dynamics of innovation: a Europe-United States comparative analysis," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(6), pages 673-709, November.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2008.
"Long Term Persistence,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2008/30, European University Institute.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2008. "Long Term Persistence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6981, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2008. "Long Term Persistence," NBER Working Papers 14278, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2008. "Long Term Persistence," EIEF Working Papers Series 0810, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Aug 2008.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2013. "Long-term Persistence," EIEF Working Papers Series 1323, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2013.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1979. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Fabio Schiantarelli & Michel Serafinelli, 2013.
"Attitudes, Policies, And Work,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 11(6), pages 1256-1289, December.
- Roberta Capello & Alessandra Faggian, 2005. "Collective Learning and Relational Capital in Local Innovation Processes," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 75-87.
- Marco Manacorda & Enrico Moretti, 2006. "Why do Most Italian Youths Live with Their Parents? Intergenerational Transfers and Household Structure," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(4), pages 800-829, 06.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2009. "Il capitale sociale nelle regioni italiane: un’analisi comparata," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 99(2), pages 167-220, April-Jun.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Sjak Smulders, 2003. "Bridging and Bonding Social Capital: which type is good for economic growth?," ERSA conference papers ersa03p517, European Regional Science Association.
- A. Arrighetti & A. Lasagni, 2008.
"Capitale sociale, contesto istituzionale e performance innovativa delle imprese,"
Economics Department Working Papers
2008-EP04, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Alessandro Arrighetti & Andrea Lasagni, 2011. "Capitale sociale, contesto istituzionale e performance innovativa delle imprese," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2011(1), pages 5-34.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2004.
"Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p588, European Regional Science Association.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2005. "Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(10), pages 1793-1812, October.
- Roderik Ponds & Frank van Oort & Koen Frenken, 2010.
"Innovation, spillovers and university--industry collaboration: an extended knowledge production function approach,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Roderik Ponds & Frank van Oort & Koen Frenken, 2009. "Innovation, spillovers, and university-industry collaboration: An extended knowledge production function approach," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0903, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Feb 2009.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & van Schaik, Ton, 2005. "Social capital and growth in European regions: an empirical test," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 301-324, June.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & H. Denis & Dominique Guellec, 2001. "Using patent counts for cross-country comparisons of technology output," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6227, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Simona Iammarino & Elisabetta Marinelli, 2011. "Is the grass greener on the other side of the fence? Graduate mobility and job satisfaction in Italy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 43(11), pages 2761-2777, November.
- Tomi Tura & Vesa Harmaakorpi, 2005. "Social capital in building regional innovative capability," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1111-1125.
- James H. Stock & Motohiro Yogo, 2002. "Testing for Weak Instruments in Linear IV Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fritsch, Michael & Franke, Grit, 2004. "Innovation, regional knowledge spillovers and R&D cooperation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 245-255, March.
- Antonio Bubbico, 2013. "Administrative Continuity: Enhancer or Constraint for Regional Governments' Efficiency?," ERSA conference papers ersa13p493, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.