Why is the Polish farm sector still so underdeveloped?
AbstractThis article presents a comprehensive review of the Polish farm sector. The main objective is to analyse the causes of its backwardness and slow development. Low remuneration of farm work and the resultant low profitability are the largest problems of many farms. Several causes of the low profitability are evaluated. We show that all relevant causes are closely interrelated and that the extraordinarily high labour intensity has the largest impact. Subsequently, we analyse several causes of the extremely large share of agricultural employment in the Polish economy. Low skills of farm workers, the poor performance of the land market and the high level of subsidisation of the social security system for farmers (KRUS) are identified as the most important causes. Finally, some policy recommendations are given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Henningsen, Geraldine & Henningsen, Arne & Henning, Christian H.C.A., 2011. "Measuring the Influence of Information Networks on Transaction Costs Using a Non-parametric Regression Technique," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114547, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2014.
"Returns from income strategies in rural Poland,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 22(1), pages 139-178, 01.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Factor Markets Working Papers 178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011. "Returns from income strategies in rural Poland," Working Papers 2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.