The Role of Foreign Direct Investment in the Privatisation and Restructuring of the Czech Motor Industry
AbstractForeign direct investment (FDI) has been considered one of the crucial factors of a successful economic transformation in Central and Eastern Europe. This article investigates the role of FDI in the privatisation and restructuring of the Czech motor industry in the 1990s. In particular, it examines how governmental policies towards FDI affected FDI inflows, the immediate effects of FDI at the enterprise level, and the contested nature of this change. Advantages of foreign ownership for Czech enterprises, such as access to investment capital, access to sale and distribution networks of parent companies and technology transfer are discussed, as well as examples of failures of FDI to result in a successful enterprise restructuring. The information presented is based upon in-depth interviews with top managers of twenty component suppliers, governmental officials and vehicle makers in the Czech Republic as well as on the secondary data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Bartlomiej Kaminski & Beata Smarzynska, 2001. "Integration into Global Production and Distribution Networks through FDI: The Case of Poland," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 265-288.
- Michal Mejstřík, 1999. "The restructuring after privatization in the czech republic," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1999(3).
- Klaus E Meyer, 2000. "International Production Networks and Enterprise Transformation in Central Europe," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(1), pages 135-150, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.