Teaching Economics to Undergraduates in Europe: Volume, Structure, and Contents
AbstractThe structure and contents of undergraduate programs in economics and management sciences differ among the major European universities. Based on analyses of curriculums, course syllabuses, and adopted textbooks, the author looks at how much time is spent in pertinent programs, how time is allocated among different courses within programs, what common thematic denominators exist, and finally and most importantly, whether and in what way content taught in micro and macro courses differs. Based on examinations of how the coverage in major textbooks has evolved through successive editions, he also looks for trends and cycles in what is taught in undergraduate micro and macroeconomics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The Journal of Economic Education.
Volume (Year): 32 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/VECE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elsa Galarza Contreras & Marianne Johnson, 2007.
"Internationalising Intermediate Microeconomics: Collaborative Case Studies and Web-Based Learning,"
International Review of Economic Education,
Economics Network, University of Bristol, vol. 6(1), pages 9-26.
- Elsa Galarza & Marianne Johnson, 2007. "Internationalizing Intermediate Microeconomics: Collaborative Case Studies and Web-based learning," Working Papers 07-16, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Jul 2007.
- Henrique Monteiro & Alexandra Ferreira Lopes, 2007. "A Benchmarking of the Undergraduate Economics Major in Europe and the United States," International Review of Economic Education, Economics Network, University of Bristol, vol. 6(2), pages 9-26.
- Carlos Gustavo Machado & Lourdes Espinoza & Katia Makhlouf, 2009. "La enseñanza de economía en Bolivia y Chile," Research Department Publications 4632, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Monteiro, Henrique & Ferreira Lopes, Alexandra, 2006. "A Comparison of the Undergraduate Economics Major in Europe and in the United States," MPRA Paper 771, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lourdes Espinoza & Carlos Gustavo Machicado & Katia Makhlouf, 2007. "La Enseñanza de Economía en Bolivia y Chile," Development Research Working Paper Series 10/2007, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.