Network Analysis of Eight Technological Systems
AbstractThis paper aims to measure and compare some key relationships relative to the technological systems of eight OECD countries along three temporal spans (early 1980s, middle 1980s, early 1990s). For each technological system, a matrix of intersectoral innovation flows is constructed and network analysis is then performed to examine the density distributions of the innovative flows, and the degree of centrality/centralisation of each of its nodes.The first kind of analysis allows a quantitative comparison of the intensity of the linkages among the systemic nodes considered, while the second allows us to examine qualitatively the different internal structures identified by cutting-off flows of a certain magnitude. The main results of the paper are a clear distinction among technological systems with different structural characteristics (e.g. size, technological intensity, and institutional arrangements suggesting the existence of different 'models of capitalism'), and a clear pattern of 'convergence' among the technological systems along time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=102219
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1991.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leoncini, R. & Maggioni, M. A. & Montresor, S., 1996. "Intersectoral innovation flows and national technological systems: network analysis for comparing Italy and Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 415-430, May.
- Leoncini, Riccardo, 1998. "The nature of long-run technological change: innovation, evolution and technological systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 75-93, May.
- Papaconstantinou, G. & Sakurai, N. & Wyckoff, A., 1998. "Domestic and international product-embodied R&D diffusion," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 301-314, July.
- S. Montresor & Vittucci & G. Marzetti, 2008. "Constructing intersectoral innovation diffusion networks with input-output: how to get relative flows? An illustrative application to six OECD technological systems for the middle '90s," Working Papers 649, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Leoncini, Riccardo & Montresor, Sandro, 2001.
"The automobile technological systems : An empirical analysis of four European countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1321-1340, October.
- R. Leoncini & S. Montresor, 1999. "The automobile technological systems. An empirical analysis of four European coutries," Working Papers 360, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Guan, Jiancheng & Chen, Zifeng, 2009. "The technological system of Chinese manufacturing industry: A sectorial approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 767-776, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.